What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pee Bottles

George Mulligan

I'm New Here
An awkward subject. Conventional pee bottles seem not to work well in center stick airplanes. Take a look at the devices sold at www.advantageurinal.com. I’ve used one in my Lancair Legacy; no contortions, tidy, easily cleaned. The vendor will adjust the tube length to your needs; 8” worked well for me.

George Mulligan
[email protected]

I have to ask 😔

OK, I do need a better idea. My flight plan includes a stop after one hour even if breakfast is only 1 cup of coffee and NO WATER. My delimma is, how do you pee up hilll in an RV3 ?.

I know, TMI, but I had to ask !

Last edited:
OK, I do need a better idea. My flight plan includes a stop after one hour even if breakfast is only 1 cup of coffee and NO WATER. My delimma is, how do you pee up hilll in an RV3 ?.

Just a matter of flight planning. Climb to 10K', power off, point the nose down, and let 'er rip.

Make sure you have a checklist for that before you post video.

When using some sort of pee boottle in my glider, I had to thermal up, then go to 90+ knots to pee. Changed to external catheters and a collection bag. Works great, once you get the size right for you. Run the tube down your leg to a leg bag.

You can pee in any attitude.

This is the right answer here. It takes a while to get use to them, I used them dry suit scuba diving.

SNIP Changed to external catheters and a collection bag. Works great, once you get the size right for you. Run the tube down your leg to a leg bag.

You can pee in any attitude.

I use Travel Johns bought from ACS. Flying in loose shorts enable's me to stuff one of these up my short leg and then it usually takes me a considerable amount of time to relax enough to go, especially in rough air. The pouch has stuff in it that turns liquid to gel immediately so you can just toss it in the back when your finished. Wife can use them too. We like to take them to Oshkosh camping. They come in handy when you go see the Beer Fairy and the Porty-a-Toilet is a long walk from your tent. One unit can be used several time in most cases.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/traveljohn.php

Easy peezy:)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    169.6 KB · Views: 196
This is the right answer here. It takes a while to get use to them, I used them dry suit scuba diving.

My local uniform supply store, where nurses buy scrubs, etc, stocks all 3 components: the bag, the hose, and the catheter. Note you'll have a choice of sizes - small, medium or large (children, men, or whoa). I'm told better stocked stores have a measuring template device available for discreet use. The jokes just write themselves.
Like anything regarding aviation, get familiar with the equipment on the ground first.

This Works

When I have a longer flight in my RV4 I use the product in the link below.

Works great and just as advertised once you get the tightness of the bands correct. Highly advise trying it on the ground first.
I did that and was glad I did since I did NOT get the tension on the bands right the first time.

https://store.urinedevice.com/

I once filled 6 piddle packs on a pond crossing from Saudi Arabia to Singapore. Get the ones with the white powder in them. There's less sloshing than the packs with sponges.

Also from my younger and irresponsible Air Force days: you can do some interesting pranks with the white powder. We used to cut open a bunch of (unused) piddle packs, collect the absorbent powder, and dump it in our buddies' toilets. It turns the toilet into a giant bowl of jello.

In a future episode, I'll tell you fun things to do with the MRE heater packs. :eek:

The ones I use, Rochester wideband, come in like 5 or 6 sizes, measured in mm. They supply a handy cardboard sizing tool to size your...ahem tool. Like anythings nowdays, Amazon makes it easy to buy this stuff.

My local uniform supply store, where nurses buy scrubs, etc, stocks all 3 components: the bag, the hose, and the catheter. Note you'll have a choice of sizes - small, medium or large (children, men, or whoa). I'm told better stocked stores have a measuring template device available for discreet use. The jokes just write themselves.
Like anything regarding aviation, get familiar with the equipment on the ground first.

Last edited:
Pee Solutions Idea

The GEE Wiz product looks pretty good not a sticky hair pulling ordeal. I have been experimenting with a less committed method using a soft silicone menstrual cup with a valve (cut off the valve and then have a nice open hose to attach to. Put some rigid plastic tube to keep it from blocking/bending and attach to a hose to put in a bottle tie wrapped securely below. I found the menstrual cup turned inside out worked better (2 ridges on the inside create a tight seal), best to practice using on the ground !

Do a search on Amazon for this:

AIWO Soft Menstrual Cup - Sterilized Pack - Unique Discharge Valve - Care Period Protection Cups - Pad and Tampon Alternative (M(80mm*46mm), Clear)

Nice part is you can just pop it on then you need it.

Good luck, enjoy a coffee now in flight :)
Peter

In a future episode, I'll tell you fun things to do with the MRE heater packs. :eek:

Fun as in, activate in 20 oz soda bottle and screw the cap back on?

I guess the real question is what you do with the above once the clock starts ticking?

What's wrong with landing at the nearest airport? I thought these were pleasure flights and not forced marches. Land, relax a bit, meet some new folks then fly on. I fly for the fun of it! If it takes a little longer so be it, just more fum!

What's wrong with landing at the nearest airport? I thought these were pleasure flights and not forced marches. Land, relax a bit, meet some new folks then fly on. I fly for the fun of it! If it takes a little longer so be it, just more fum!

Nothing wrong with it if it’s convenient- but if you’re flying out west on a cross country, you may be up in the mid-teens, and the temperatures Dow below are 100+, so descending to pee and the climb back up where it’s smooth and cool can take a lot of time and effort!

Just a different perspective because of regional differences....

Another vote for piddle packs with the absorbent powder. When done put in a zip lock just in case to prevent spillage

From this thread I have learned that you guys are way more committed to flying than I am. I would never have imagined catheters and urine sacks as a flight bag accessories!

Depends.......on the area and conditions. 2ish hours and plenty of airports no problems, 4 hours and scarce airports lets get comfortable. Down low a potty stop is only 30 minutes if you’re fast, a climb to the mid teens or lower flight levels doesn’t allow for a potty stop as it would add hours to the flight. Up high I offer my passengers potty stops in states....

I’ve spent the last hour + of a flight in discomfort then doing a high speed taxi To the locked FBO having to utilize the closest structure. There’s a chance the FBO wasn’t close enough and the taxiway was the best option.

I’ve found less discomfort in going on the fly than holding on the fly, also I feel much better hydrated than dehydrated. There is a balance. My autopilot is good, a little contortionist action makes good use of a large coffee cup or Gatorade bottle to keep the flight going smoothly and comfortable. Also O2 really helps to increase the bladder range. Don’t wait until you really have to go, try it when you kinda have to go.

Last edited:
A wide mouth bottle and an auto pilot = good to go. Would not consider this advanced maneuver without AP.

I was flying from my home base of Foley, Alabama to Petit Jean, AK a few years back. I usually time my consumption of coffee/drinks pretty good but not this time. After a couple hours of flying, the warning lights began going off in my brain... Sequentially I started performing the precautionary procedures of loosing the seat belt. Eventually the belt in my pants followed and then a little later by unbuckling of pants and eventually dropping the zipper a quite a few notches. About the time I was approaching Pine Bluff my situation had blossomed into a full blown biological emergency. The soft glow of yellow warning lights in my head had been replaced by brightly flashing red lights accompanied by the GONG... GONG... GONG... GONG! I was in a nuclear submarine.... I heard DIVE DIVE DIVE which I did. Upon landing at Pine Bluff I quickly taxied to the fuel pumps, (pretty sure I left some skid marks there), hopped out and like a track star in the olympics, RAN towards the FBO. Being the pilot I am, had the FBO been closed, I already had a plan B set up in my mind.... "Looks like a good spot over there!"

I am one of those people that can not urinate in any unnatural position. Sitting in a cockpit is one of them.

From this thread I have learned that you guys are way more committed to flying than I am. I would never have imagined catheters and urine sacks as a flight bag accessories!

If you are trying to "get somewhere", then you want to be in the air as long as the fuel holds out. Stopping to take a leak between fuel stops is a HUGE impact to enroute time. Getting to/from altitude and a few minutes on the ground is like having a 30 -50 knot slower airplane on a cross country.

+1 for Travel Johns. They can be used multiple times. The gel prevents spilling and odors.

a gel pad or two in a ziplock also works well.

Back