What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Starter Relay bolt pattern

rvanstory

Well Known Member
Just received a starter relay from ACS for my RV10. But, the bolt pattern was too narrow to fit the nutplates on the RV-10 firewall.

I would assume all relays are "standard" bolt patterns??? Anyone else have this issue? What did you get to resolve it?

I can't really recall but don't think that I had an issue mounting the solenoid. Most ford style starter relays are pretty consistent and usually use oval shape holes to allow for variance. I just replaced one in the 6 yesterday. I will measure the hole to hole center distance and post this afternoon.

Are you sure you are looking at the correct holes? I vaguely remember there being hole for the shunt nearby. Also can't remember if I had to drill those or not.

Larry

Last edited:
I have found that the mounting hole dimensions can vary by manufacturer. I know I had one that had slots instead of holes to make it more of a universal fit.

I just ran into this same problem with the starter contactor from B and C.

Fortunately, there was enough edge distance on one side to extend the slot enough to pick up the second nut plate hole.

my solenoid was 2.125" ctr to ctr, but both holes were ovals about 3/8+ wide.

Larry

Thanks Larry. The solenoid from ACS was 2" on center and the holes on my firewall are 2.5" on center. The holes are oval, but not enough.

Did see on ACS reviews that someone else had this problem. Sending it back and getting one from Van's. The one from Vans has holes that are wide enough.

Back