What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil pressure sending unit

bobg56

Well Known Member
I've been replacing the Honywell units about once a year or less due to erractic readings, I have even installed the bullet type pressure regulator to help stabilize the pressure, also installed a remote mounted system to take it off the engine and mount it to the firewall using a cushsioned Adel clamp. The carbs are well synced and prop is balanced...is there an alternative to the Honywell unit? I have the D-180 system...

Bob, how much is erratic? I have the D180/Honeywell combo, but my sensor is mounted directly on the engine. I’m on my third sensor in 1200 hours. My readings bounce around +/- 5-10 psi.

As an aside I have had two fuel pressure sensor lines fail in my Cherokee. I’d rather replace failed sensors from vibrations than have another sensor line break. The last me resulted in me making a landing with 1.2 useable gallons of fuel left after pumping $150 of AVGAS into my engine compartment. That sensor is now attached directly to the engine.

My pressure fluctuates from 0-70 (about) and its wild...after replacing senser all is good for usually a year or 50-70 hours, I've got a different type from Lockwood, we'll see how long it lasts...oil temp stays steady no problems with it.

Pressure sensors are usually a diaphragm with a resistance strain gage which is susceptible to damage from shock, vibration, rough handling. Best practice is to mount remote so engine doesn’t shake unit. I have both oil and fuel pressure sensors mounted on firewall using Teflon fire sleave hose. Both sensors now have 750TT with no failures...

Thats what I did, I got a remote kit and mounted to firewall, I just can't get the Honeywell units to last very long, I even changed the regulator to the bullet type. It all worked well for a few months 20-30 hours? I'll double check the crimps...

I too had problems with the original oil pressure sensor. Here is my logbook entry that solved the problem:

Replaced inoperable Oil Pressure Sensor, Honeywell MLH010BSCDJ 1231, Rotax part number 956 413, with Oil Pressure Sensor BRP Rotax Part Number 456 180 and with Oil Pressure Sensor Wire Assy BRP Rotax part number 864 250 in accordance with Rotax Service Instruction Running Modifications on Rotax Engine Type 912, SI-912-020R8, Section 79-00-00 dated December 19th 2014.

Ever since my oil pressure has been steady as a rock.

My experience - -

I remote mounted the Honeywell to the large coolant hose years ago. Closing in on 1,500 hours. Still have original sender. I have a serious restriction port to stop fluctuations. Has worked well ever since. Just zip tied it to the large coolant hose.

Engine mount mounting?

Planning to remote mount oil pressure sender to motor mount with adel clamps, SS braided hose to that. Keep hearing about firewall remote mounting, is motor mount also acceptable?

Gordon

I did the remote mount to the firewall like the fuel pressure is done...found the problem, a loose wire crimp.

Back