What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Maingear legs corrosion

backcountry

Well Known Member
Maingear legs corrosion
Corrosion has attacked my gear legs started from the forward leading edge.
What is the material and what is the best way to attack the problem?

The gear legs are aluminum. It has been a chronic problem for me in Florida. I use a scotch-brite wheel on a dremmel to clean the surface. I have had success with POR-15 coating. The kit comes with a cleaner and prep solution. I also use the tube of POR-15 and wipe the area with alcohol prior to application.

Aren’t your gear legs painted? Granted I live in AZ where corrosion is not an issue, but I would think paint would protect the legs.

A litte related to this, the KAI calls for applying grease to the unprotected areas of the gear legs to prevent corrosion.

Anyone have thoughts on using a product like Corrosion X in that application in lieu of grease?

gear leg corrosion

I didn't do a careful verification of my "facts" but what I think I have picked up over the last several years is that the gear legs are 7075 aluminum rather than the more common 2024. 7075 is stronger than 2024 but more susceptible to corrosion. I carefully cleaned, primed, and painted mine as I installed them 6 years ago. But every condition inspection has shown spots of corrosion that need to be cleaned off and repainted. It is a common problem and I don't think there is a thorough fix. I am resigned to just living with the aggravation. BTW, I am a retired aircraft structural design engineer and I did not give up easily.

gear leg

Hi Charlie
I live in the uk and i have just noticed some flaking corrosion on my rv12 i noticed some paint on the gear leg leading edge about 2 months ago and intended to etche prime and paint asap but now i have found also this flaking so i am researching if there is any other treatment i can do before painting
interesting i will let you know if i find any suitable treatment
i don’t live near the coast and the aircraft is in a dry hangar with pretty good atmospheric conditions
Kevin Handley

Back