What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Exactly what needs paint with full interior kit?

bpattonsoa

Well Known Member
Our chapter is doing a Teen build for a customer who is providing the kits. He has ordered the complete interior kit, but it won’t be here for a while.

So what exactly needs to be painted on the interior? The canopy’s frame paint is covered in the plans, but there must be some areas that need paint. We don’t need to start another primer war, so please don’t go there.

Just my opinion, but if a future owner lives in an area where airplane corrosion is an issue, then I'd say everything. If it's ultimately going to a place that's dry or arid, then nothing.

Dave

Our chapter is doing a Teen build for a customer who is providing the kits. He has ordered the complete interior kit, but it won’t be here for a while.

So what exactly needs to be painted on the interior? The canopy’s frame paint is covered in the plans, but there must be some areas that need paint. We don’t need to start another primer war, so please don’t go there.

The sides are totally covered if you get the full interior. I would paint everything else (I painted the entire inside and have the full interior kit)

The sides are totally covered if you get the full interior. I would paint everything else (I painted the entire inside and have the full interior kit)

I would follow this advice.
Easier to paint all than miss a spot and have to match.

Boomer

The interior kit showed up today, almost a month before it was promised! Now if the engine kit did the same.

Looking at it, I reached the same conclusion as others, paint it all.

Bruce Patton

Just my opinion, but if a future owner lives in an area where airplane corrosion is an issue, then I'd say everything. If it's ultimately going to a place that's dry or arid, then nothing.

Dave

I'd agree with Dave and others about everything! I did not on my interior. I painted only what would "show". The masking was not only a pain, but unnecessary. In the end, all you save is a SMALL amount of weight. If I were doing it again, I'd paint it all.

Back