What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Color Boroscope

Av8torTom

Well Known Member
I see the aviation department of Harbor Freight has a color boroscope on sale for $79. Think I'm gonna check it out tomorrow.

T.

bore scopes

I borrowed a Snap-on bore scope to examine my used Lycoming engine.

It worked great but I got a kick out of the fact that this "high end" tool was, in fact, made in China:D

Don't knock Harbor Freight - I've gotten alot of tools there and most of them were just fine.

Dave
-9A flying (66 hours)

Tom,

Please let us know how it works out, will you? Does the ad have a item number or sku? I checked locally and online and no joy.

My guess is that the head won't fit through a spark plug hole.

That's the problem I found while looking for an inexpensive borescope - they all had heads too large to fit in a spark plug hole. Louise bought me one for Christmas from ACS - more expensive (forget the brand - it's out in the workshop), but it works great and DOES fit in the engine.

I'm planning on using it soon to inspect the entire interior of our RV-3 wings and tanks before we seal everything up. sitting here in the land of the mud-daubers for two years, we could have mud anywhere....

Paul

Might

My friend bought one a while back - if it's the same one he had, I think the head would fit through the spark plug hole. I'll be looking at one today.

I bought one recently at Fry's Electronics. I think I paid around $80.00, and yes the head fits through a plug hole. My A&P/IA buddies were impressed.

diameter of standard spark plug hole?

what is the maximum diameter of head for a borescope that will fit into the spark plug hole? (I am sitting at my desk at work shopping);)

Oscar

what is the maximum diameter of head for a borescope that will fit into the spark plug hole? (I am sitting at my desk at work shopping);)

Oscar

I believe that the one Louise got me from ACS has a 12 mm diameter probe - it DOES fit through the plug hole on a Lycoming, I've poked around a bit.

Boroscope Update

I purchased it today. I think it looks pretty good - especially for the money
72cee00c.jpg

The next two images are screen shots using my iPhone. The actual images are better. These are both from inside the wing where the ribs meet the spar. The tool can also be connected to a TV screen for a larger image.
55f847bd.jpg

474781ca.jpg

The camera head has 2 dimable LED llights and it's either 15 or 16mm in diameter. The image can be rotated on the screen in 90deg increments.
The item number is 67979 and I needed to coupon that I received in the mail to get the sale price of $79. Regular price is $129.

No Close Ups

The main problem I have with the HF unit is the inability to see things close-up. It has a fixed focal length. This is a problem inside a cylinder.

No close ups?

Doug,

The HF product info for that scope says it can get as close as 3/8". That isn't close enough? Or does it not really let you get that close?

Dwight

Dwight,

I have one of the HF units in my hangar. Drop by if you want to try it. It is OK for looking into wings and stuff like that, but the optics/screen resolution is not good enough for seeing things like cylinder walls, even if you could get it through the plug hole.

Jim Berry
RV-10

i had a chance to work with my borescope. using a old cylinder helped figure it out. not good news. as you enter the cylinder at the plug opening the valves are immediately to the right and left and very close to the plug opening. even using a 90 degree mirror, that came with the kit, that fits on the end of the scope it is too close to get a clear image. you need to be at least 2 inches away from the valve head and is impossible to do entering from the spark plug opening. a very expensive scope with a articulating head would do the job or one that would focus in close. time to try and return this unit. anyone having any luck seeing the valves yet?

img1102ii.jpg

this image was taken from 6 inches away.
1858421j.jpg

this is a close up of the valve edges from 1 inch away.
1858571j.jpg

this cylinder is obviously toast!!!!!!

I had a couple of days to play with it, and I am very impressed with it. A clear color image, that can be slaved to a TV or other video source, an IPad would be ideal I think. I have had no cylinders to inspect, but needed it to look down in holes in my RV12 to see what I dropped down the blind holes.

Attachable lens?

When I get some time I am going to play with attaching a small lens to the end of the scope to see if I can improve the close-up imaging. Just a matter of finding the right lens I think.

I will have to read the instructions, it seems like there should be a way to get up closer to an object, maybe the head focuses?

There was an article on AOPA recently about using an articulating endoscope ($30k) to inspect inside your engine. It mentioned a less expensive option, which looks really interesting...10mm and has all the features I think one would need for less than 40 bucks:

http://www.chinavasion.com/product_...n-camera-usb-wand-digital-camera-with-lights/

I'm wondering if anybody has used one of these yet. I'm kinda thinking it might be possible to "articulate" it around in the cylinder if you used one of these types of dealies to grab and manipulate the camera:

http://www.fcpgroton.com/images/products/large/9435.JPG

The idea being, camera goes in through one spark plug hole, and the "mechanical fingers" go in through the other spark plug hole. Turn the camera to look back at the valves. Easier said than done? For under 40 bucks, I'd be willing to deal with slightly less ease, as long as it can be done!

Thoughts?

Any recommendations based on your test

I search through several threads on engine borescope. I might missed reading any successful stories. Anyone has tried and successfully inspected their valves using one of the affordable borescopes?

Back