What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rear Window Backing Strips

b727capt

How did you fabricate your rear window backing strips? 1 continuous piece or a number of smaller pieces. The only difference I can see is aesthetics. Looks like you can see the strips from the opposite side. Or am I over thinking this?
Thanks

How did you fabricate your rear window backing strips? 1 continuous piece or a number of smaller pieces. The only difference I can see is aesthetics. Looks like you can see the strips from the opposite side. Or am I over thinking this?
Thanks

I made 4 pieces. Still a PITA to get installed correctly. Be practical. Also align your holes with a spacer to simulate the thickness of the plexiglass or they won't line up. Also mark/etch the side facing the plexiglass.

One way to get the pattern is to tape strips of paper (together) to the inside of the plexi and than cleco it in place on the fuselage every 4th hole. Use a sharp pointed tool to punch the line of screw holes in the paper, now remove the paper and draw the final shape of the strip using your defined screw holes as a reference. It might be best to break up the strip into 2 or 3 segments for best fit. Now you have templates for the strips.
One treatment you could do to hide the strips from outside view is paint the plexi along the inside (similar to the treatment on your car's windshield) edge flat black, as well the strip side that faces the plexi. Makes for a nice neat finished look.

Last edited:
I gave up...

After several tries to get the aluminum to fit, I gave up and used stainless steel washers, nuts and screws.

Back