What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon ADSB-IN Installation for RV12

jrock836

Well Known Member
As you guys are starting to see, I'm doing a lot of things to get my new to me RV12 working and equipped the way I want..

I'm ready to order the DYNON SKYVIEW ADS-B 472 IN box from Aircraft Spruce. I can order it with the standard 4 ft. harnss, or for a little more they will can provide a custom harness of different length..

Can you guys tell me if the 4ft harness should be long enough for my RV12? Sure, I suppose it depends on where I mount the box. Well the honest truth is I don't know where most people mount them. This is all so new to me.. So where have most of you guys mounted them, and how long of a harness do I need? I'm planning to buy one of the short rod antennas, rather than the more expensive blade antennas. The rod antenna should be fine for ADSB RX, correct?

Yeah, I know I could order the kit from Van's for a couple of hundred more, but to be honest I haven't much luck with ordering from Van's lately, but that's a different story for a different time...

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 147
  • 10-06419a.jpg
    10-06419a.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
Plans call for it to be mounted on the right hand aft side of the baggage compartment bulkhead. Opposite side from the fuel pumps. I have attached a PDF showing how it is supposed to be mounted. Also shows the location for the stick antenna.

Attachments

• 53AiS-U_12iS_dynonADSB_IN.pdf
    557.7 KB · Views: 288
Dynon ADS-B IN

I have a regular RV-12. The 472 is mounted above the com radio using brackets I bought from Vans. The antenna is behind the seat in the baggage compartment, on mine it's on the pilot side. A 4 foot cable will not be long enough. As I remember I bought the entire kit from Van's and it had the 472, the brackets, the antenna, and the coax.

But if Van's backorders are that bad, you can make your own brackets and buy the antenna and coax from another vendor. A guess is the coax would be 12 to 16 feet, but that is a just as guess.

IMHO mount the ADSB module as close to the antenna as practical, thereby reducing the length of the coaxial cable needed. The DB9/RS-232 connection length isn't as critical as the coaxial cable length. Besides, the DB9/RS-232 cable is very easy to custom make.

FWIW In my airplane (not an RV12) the module is mounted only 16" from the antenna so I get excellent ADSB reception anywhere I fly. :cool:

The rv12 mount location is not on the rear bulkhead, but the RV12IS is.
So looks like you have the regular RV12,which in turn mounts behind your panel behind the radio area.
Look at the plans online for your model, it shows it very well.
Buy the RV12 plans USB stick for $10 from Vans.
Good luck.

Joe -

Sometimes a photo is worth a thousand words. My older RV-12 has the ADSB-472 mounted above the radio using two brackets and a mounting plate (all Van's parts). Below are a couple of links to photos. Don't know which mounting location would be better ... but mine works great as is.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-STnEdH63LL8/W4LP0f5vYeI/AAAAAAAAM30/NlZC2o2_f087twaNw9MMbAC0rNVXdqYkwCLcBGAs/s1600/DSC03202.JPG

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-WOd-vxUC...cC6mFb4fYDIRcUkCOBACLcBGAs/s1600/DSC03204.JPG

Thanks John.. Photos are always helpful!

If you have a GTR-200 radio, order the 472 from Van's, with everything you need.

It will mount right on top of the GTR-200 with the brackets provided.

If you have a GTR-200 radio, order the 472 from Van's, with everything you need.

It will mount right on top of the GTR-200 with the brackets provided.

SL40 radio.. I'd ordet the Van's kit if available, but not sure thats the case.. thus Aircraft Spruce most likely.. Still waiting to hear the final word from Van's.. Was told the backlog is about 900 orders right now..

I mounted my ADS-B-472 on the aft side of the baggage bulkhead of my "original" RV-12 mainly because I did not want to run a long coax from the instrument panel. The Dynon Skyview Installation Manual states the ADS-B antenna should be at least two feet from a 1090 Mhz transponder (SV-XPNDER-262 in my case). Two feet from the transponder antenna puts the ADS-B antenna back near the comm antenna and the note also stated to keep the ADS-B coax as short as possible, which made the aft baggage bulkhead location a good choice. I added a doubler plate to mount the antenna in the tail cone just aft of the AP servo area for a RAMI AP-74 antenna. Just had to run the power, TX, and RX wires up the center to the panel electronics.

I am sure Van's had a reason to change the box mounting and antenna location the on the 12iS. I installed mine about 5-years ago (originally a -470 ADS-B) and upgraded to the -472 about a year ago.

John Salak
RV-12 N896HS

I'm looking at installing a Dynon ADSB-472 in my original version 12. I know the ADSB-In and transponder antennas need to be at least two feet apart, but does it matter if the ADSB-In antenna is close to the VHF antenna?

Don’t have the measurement, but here’s where they’re mounted in relation to each other on the iS.

Attachments

• 9DA6E019-81E9-4579-A683-B81A60021474.jpg
    9DA6E019-81E9-4579-A683-B81A60021474.jpg
    305.5 KB · Views: 96
Thanks Bob. That suggests it needs to be a good distance from the VHF antenna too. Any other examples out there?

I installed a FreeFlight unit about 7 years ago. My spike antenna is on the belly a couple of feet aft of the Comm antenna penetration. No issues.

Back