What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Painting an RV a dark color - problem?

spark68

Well Known Member
Patron
I am planning to paint my RV-6 project and considering a darker color - green in this case. Not as dark as black, but medium or a little darker. Would this cause problems with the fiberglass parts warping from heat of the summer sun? The RV will live in the South West, so summer can be brutal here, but will be hangered.

Anyone have experience with painting darker colors, either good or bad?

Jet Gloss Black HR II

A friend in the Central Valley of CA (much the same climate as yours) has been flying his all black HR II (including interior) since the middle '90's.

Other than the skin surface getting hot enough to fry eggs on in the summers, and a bit of "extra" skin expansion, it looks as good now (including wing tips and other fiberglass parts) as when new.

YMMV

HFS

I saw an all- (or mostly-) black RV at the NWEAA fly-in in Arlington, WA a number of years back. After sitting in the hot sun all day, the top surface of the wings looked like an upholstered chair. Between every rivet line the skins bulged slightly. It was probably only been a few thousands of an inch of expansion, but the visual effect was remarkable on the dark surface. I haven't seen that effect on an RV with white wings.

Weight, Cost, Heat

Is dark paint heavier? More pigment, but I'm no expert, so might not be true

White paint is cheaper.

To go along with skin temperature, the fuel will be hotter and more prone to vapour lock.

Is dark paint heavier? More pigment, but I'm no expert, so might not be true

White paint is cheaper.

To go along with skin temperature, the fuel will be hotter and more prone to vapour lock.

White probably has more pigment per weight than any other color.

The leading edges of the tanks on my 1999 RV-6 are black, never had a problem with vapor lock due to tank temp.

Many years ago I painted an RV7 that was two tone black and white with the black being the top color. I later asked the owner if the black on top made the cockpit feel hotter. He said not that he could tell.

Back