What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip up canopy Struts

RicoB

Well Known Member
Patron
Hello.
Checking around to see if anyone has a good line on buying the canopy struts. My rv9 tip up struts are loosing its pressure. I know vans sells them for $33 but in the past I remember seeing a post that someone has found them for much less. I tried to search the forum but no luck.
Thanks in advance for any help.

This is a little old but was a good source. Using a -25 stock and a -35 a little stronger works fine for several of us and they seem to last longer. RV 7 Should be the same as the 9

Last edited:
Hello.
Checking around to see if anyone has a good line on buying the canopy struts. My rv9 tip up struts are loosing its pressure. I know vans sells them for $33 but in the past I remember seeing a post that someone has found them for much less. I tried to search the forum but no luck.
Thanks in advance for any help.

I remember the same post. If I remember right, somebody discovered a certain brand of hatchback lift struts were identical and bought them at the junkyard maybe?

I realize this didn't answer your question, but hopefully it's a memory jogger that will help your search.

When mine went bad in my 6A I got one from NAPA. Give them your old one and they give you a new one. It was about $17 as I recall.

Last post

Ok, that didn’t work, shoot me an email and I will send you the link for the ones I bought for my 6

so looks like few of you guys have got the Suspa C16-08941 from amazon, seems like you guys all had rv6's. I assume it should work on the 9 tip up also correct?

The ad on amazon provides extended length and compressed length (ball socket to ball socket). I recommend you verify the length of the struts on your plane before ordering. They sell a variety of lengths.

Again? An H9503-35 on one side works better than -25s on both sides...

Do you mean only one strut? I wouldn't recommend that. Twisting loads on the tip-up canopy place all kinds of unanticipated loads on the screws holding the plastic... The last thing you want is to introduce cracks.

Also, the welds that join the frame mounting flanges to the pivot arms at the front bow are questionable. Mine failed on both sides, and when inspected it was clear that the welds weren't done properly. The weld beads only barely penetrated the flanges and the arms.

Do you mean only one strut? I wouldn't recommend that. Twisting loads on the tip-up canopy place all kinds of unanticipated loads on the screws holding the plastic... The last thing you want is to introduce cracks.

Also, the welds that join the frame mounting flanges to the pivot arms at the front bow are questionable. Mine failed on both sides, and when inspected it was clear that the welds weren't done properly. The weld beads only barely penetrated the flanges and the arms.

What? A -25 one one side with a -35 on the other side is working well for several RVs locally and is lasting much longer than 2 -25s. This was recommended on the forum a few years ago with good results. do what you want but I never recommended using one strut! Some times I wonder why some of us old timers even bother to share our experience. Actually many of them do not anymore. I posted twice. Read the postsss. How dumb would using one strut be WOW!

What? A -25 one one side with a -35 on the other side is working well for several RVs locally and is lasting much longer than 2 -25s.
Thanks for clarifying, the post I replied to was not clear that this is what you meant.

Some times I wonder why some of us old timers even bother to share our experience. Actually many of them do not anymore. I posted twice. Read the postsss.
I know you probably knew exactly what you meant with your first post. But it was written in halting, broken english and wasn't clear. Your second post made it less clear. Maybe when you old timers reply you could consider that us young'uns don't have all of your experience to draw on to understand what you're trying to tell us with partial sentences.

How dumb would using one strut be WOW!
Keep in mind that the -6 was designed originally to not have struts... The canopy was only held open with a stick or rod while getting in and out, and stayed closed otherwise.

Back