What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Women who love to fly

So on our way back from the first two day cross country in the brand new -6A, my wife, who had never flown except a couple of glider rides I gave her 10 years before, says: "Do you think we can take this thing up to Alaska?"

A winner!

Bruce Patton
596S RV-6A

Grand-Daughter's 1st Flight Lesson...

age 12, lesson being given by Dad over Seoul, South Korea:
s1stfltlesson1.jpg

Kaylee can't quite reach the rudder pedals yet and she is sitting on a cushion:
s1stfltlesson2.jpg

Grand-son Tyler remaining actively engaged:
201105tylerobservingkay.jpg

My wife loves to fly! In-fact we were on an aviation club fly-out to Lake Tahoe when I proposed on top of Heavenly Mountain at 10,000ft! I knew I wanted to marry her after she kept bugging me to go fly for lunch. :D

We just got married in May and she is now part of the RV-7 project. I'm still working her over on the whole 'upside down' thing :)

TrevJen%20Cockpit_640x480.jpg

DSC_2524_640x428.jpg

She loves to fly when I take her "somewhere".

My wife has flown with me through Panama, Mexico, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Roatan, The Bahamas, Puerto Rico and many other places. She now programs the GPS, sets up the radio frequencies, maintains the navigation log and has even caught mistakes I have made along the way.

Somewhere over Costa Rica
2490928_m.jpg

Cozumel, Mexico
2321805_m.JPG

San Salvador, El Salvador
2959478_m.JPG

Tapachula, Mexico
2959492_m.JPG

There are many other places we have, and will, fly to/through. :cool:

My kid...

I asked my "adopted daughter" what she would like to do to celebrate a recent "round number" birthday. "Take me to lunch in Sunshine" was the immediate response. A little background, the lady works as a full time CFI, was a regional pilot until starting a family. So she wants to go for a flight on her lunch break. I think that qualifies her as a "Woman who loves to fly." Not a bad "RV Grin" either. :D

annelieseSZP.jpg

John Clark ATP, CFI
FAAST Team Representative
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

The girliest plane on the planet

This RV12 has to be the girliest plane on the planet. Owner/pilot, Judie Betz with 2 other lady pilots.
2hq6te1.jpg

rog, i have heard about judys 12 and it is unique!!!!!!!!! my first view. looks like pearl pink. see you all in the fall. hurricane surviver, generators still running. great wx though.

Now we know...

My wife and I saw that plane at OSH and wondered, "who owns that plane?" Now we know. Good job on a great looking aircraft (for a girl).:D Just kidding!

Grandkids in NH

Bonnie took the three grand daughters for an RV ride yesterday to view the fall colors in New Hampshire. Cassidy is 12, Sarina is 9 and Gabby is 4 already.

8eab7e83.jpg

Hoping the weather holds so we can make a flight back to TX early next week.

I'm pretty proud to say that my niece is a flying enthusiast. I have only taken her up twice in the pattern, but my dad has taken her quite a few times. Here are a couple of pictures from when I took her in my 150, took her the second time in the Citabria. She also loves being on the boat in the summers... just taught her to ski and kneeboard this year at 3 :).
38772_512038963665_101400771_30434242_6615880_n.jpg

37889_512052666205_101400771_30434598_4715098_n.jpg

Thanks

I'm really happy how nice she flies and the performance is spectacular...

we are talking about the -8 right? :)

Nose Art

I'm really happy how nice she flies and the performance is spectacular...

we are talking about the -8 right? :)

Well, both 'Chelles are knockouts. Question: Is your noseart done freehand, or did you have a decal applique produced?

Nose art

Thanks again..I'll let her know

For the nose art..I asked Michelle for permission to use a recent beach photo and sent to Victory-Girl.com to turn into artwork by adding the flag and posterizing the photo to give it a painted/slightly cartoonish look. They printed on very high quality vinyl with contact paper applied. I used them for all my insignia and markings. Great to deal with and reasonably priced.

Regards,

Ken

Bravo!

OK, that part of my plan is set. Let me get N260KM flying, and I'll turn to Victory-Girl for the art for KELLI GIRL (Kelli is my wife and inspiration).

Nose Art

I have to ditto the compliments about Jerri at Victory Girl...I pulled down a nose art sample that was more or less unclad, but with the naughty bits tastefully concealed. My wife completely rebelled, and forced me to discard everything that was below the arm that was tastefully covering the mid-chest area. Jerri is redoing the face and hair to resemble my wife's and coloring it to match my paint scheme. Jerri will paint the same picture on the back of a leather jacket.

Be cautioned, though...Jerri has a wicked sense of humor but has not given me any more than the mandatory amount of grief needed to deal with someone like myself.

The Few. The Proud. The Marines.

Melissa and her husband (behind scenes took pics) visited NY recently. Both are Marines. Wanted a ride and enjoyed it.

Melissa1.jpg

RoseveltIsland.jpg

Melissa2.jpg

I had several female passengers before but this one was unique. She said it's definitely differs from military helos :D

Last edited:
In a Waco at Key West

Not in our airplane on this flight at Key West but Jeanine was never a reluctant passenger and with a few thousand hours in the last 30 years she was aware of the dangers.

IMG_3416.jpg

Bob Axsom

Say, Vlad.

Hey Vlad,
Both of my stepsons are Marines and their DI told us, "Once a Marine, ALWAYS a Marine."...no "former" Marines.:)

Best,

Bluebird 1st Lady Flys

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Recently the Bluebird and I completed Phase 1 and the first ride went to my best girl and beautiful devoted airplane building/flying wife. Ms. Joy spent a couple hours zipping around and peering at the earth and clouds sideways. I heard her say she enjoyed herself and had fun! I am the luckiest guy in the world. To have a happy wife that both enjoys flying and don't seem to mind helping build is great. Plus, she smells good and is nice to look at. I certainly have been Blessed. We hope to meet many fine RV builder/flying nuts-enthusiasts in the future as we visit around the country. Best of luck,
Bill & Joy RV-8A N288WP
PS: Sorry about the big nosed face in the front of the picture. Somebody had to fly.

Way to go Bill, we're all proud of you. Looking forward to seeing "Blue Bird" in person. Looks like Joy will be the perfict co-pilot.

Ross Scroggs
Locust Grove, GA
RV-4 FK #3911

Best Wife in the world!

Ok, guys try to top this one. :)
First off I get in trouble for not working on the plane.

Here is my wedding 10-10-10... the flight is the wedding party, reception in a hanger.

bandjgreat.jpg

GroupVert_8232.jpg

The greatest wife in the world! I'm in heaven

bill, i am impressed! that is a winner in all respects. you look good too. a 10!:)

VAF_081%20Sep.%2011,%202012%2006.17.10.jpg

this is what it is all about. i think she likes to fly. congrats on getting your medical back. :)

I just have to post a picture of Bonnie with the oldest grandaughter taken in March when they were visiting. She took all three girls flying in the RV7a. This one said after flying the airplane when returning to the airport "this isn't so hard, and is fun, but I will let you land."

20100305_009.jpg

Is that a Grumman in the background?

Avery___Papa.jpg

not quite a women but who cares. i like this a lot. nice going larry. i can see the future pilot population up by one!

QUOTE from larry..........
My 7 year old grand daughter had a ball flying the magenta line in the -12. Her turns were steady and she held altitude very well after a few lessons from grandpa.

She really enjoyed it and told everyone grandpa took a nap while she landed it. That kid has a personality that is second to none, she loves telling jokes and stories. I wonder where she gets that from???

She made a great auto pilot!

Background is necessary

DSC00416.jpg

I didn't know this woman a week and a half ago. She is from Sicily at the base of Mount Etna. She showed up in my home town at a caver meeting because she is traveling around the USA and staying on previous stranger's (caver's) couches. She is trying to visit caves in the process.

Another person I met at the same time knew I had an airplane and suggested a flight. Conditions weren't very suitable but I think we still had an experience that this Italian will remember forever. At one point I was headed back home and she requested another view despite the bumps from the 40 knot winds. Yep, she likes flying now.

There was some sort of fly-in occurring as we returned to the home airport. She asked in her sketchy English (she speaks four languages and I speak only one) "these are are all preevate aircraft?" Yes, this is a great place to live.

Last edited:
Larry,
If you gave her your standard karst tour, she had a world-class treat. I know my jaw was on the floor when you gave me my first tour of the Guads. Spectacular! And your knowledge of the area from the air is unsurpassed.

Larry,
If you gave her your standard karst tour, she had a world-class treat...

That was unfortunate. She had that one chance to go and the wind in Guadalupe Pass was gusting to about 40 knots. No way to do the standard tour. We did a very modified high level tour but still hit some very sharp bumps around Double Canyon headed SW. That is when I turned back but she wanted to know if there was a way to see the High Guads, particularly the west escarpment. I did a big circle around to the south and got on the upwind side where we could get in pretty close.

DSC01492.JPG.jpg

That was what impressed me. Conditions that most first timers would find terrifying did not phase her at all.

I have three in the family who all love to fly. Hopefully the 18 month old grandbaby will join us with an RV Grin in a few years.
img4275lw.jpg

Wife and Daughters love to fly!

Wife in charge, as usual. She taught me how to really use a kitchen timer:

And a daughter enjoyed doing FAA sanctioned high speed low passes at our
Airport Day a few years back. She can do steep turns in the RV-6 and hold +/- 50 feet.

Fall 2012. Benton PA

Jim Lewellyn is giving a ride to a nice lady. A fly in in Benton, PA.

Jim2.jpg

Jim1.jpg

Back