What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Passed The 4,000 hr mark today!!!!!!!!!

turbo

Well Known Member
i knew it was coming soon but didnt know where i would be. the day started by flying to ft lauderdale executive airport as a flight of three RV6's. great vfr conditions, sebring was fogged in so fxe was the alternate. ron and bob are both fairly new to my airport and ron has latched on as my wingman and doing a great job tagging along whenever he can join in. i guess i make a good flight leader. a big feast at the airport restaurant and it was time to break up the party. ron split for work ( in his RV) and bob flew wing for the departure. after clearing fxe airspace bob broke off for home and i headed up to lakeland for a Seaplane Pilots Association meeting and more food. ugg. the wx at lakeland was reporting broken to overcast so i picked up a ifr enroute and was cruising along at 4,000' in and out of the tops when i checked the hobbs. 3,999.8. wow. it started to hit me. 12 minutes to contemplate all the miles and places and people and food and blue skys and clouds and emotions......... it was fantastic.

4,000 hours and counting. thanks vans for a great design, thanks lee ray for building a plane that became mine. it was built in stuart yacht and country club, it came to stuart airport for final assembly when i became interested in these RV aircraft in 1999. my friends told me about a new yet to be flow RV. i saw it, i bought it, and the rest is history. it has been quit a ride!!! i am ready for the next 1,000 hours. i hope this motivates you to finish up or buy a RV and join in. like i said, ' it has been quit a ride". i have some ideas for the exterior of my RV to celebrate the 4,000 hours of flying fun. more to come...........:rolleyes:

my wing man.
img0243mi.jpg

Ed,

Ed,

Thanks for the insperation, I like to read about your adventures.
4000 hours!!! way cool!! Keep going and let us know of your adventures!!!

That's incredible!

You truely use your airplane! Heck, you must live in it!
Good on ya! And thanks for all the trip reports - great stuff!

Turbo, you inspire us (or shame us) ... depending on the point of view. From this side of retirement, you're flight accume looks pretty nice!

Understanding that a tach only records time correctly at crusie rpm, how many hours does your the tach time read? I was curious about the ratio
of tach to Hobbs time for an airplane flying a similar mission profile. I have a lot of .2 hour flights that sure seemed longer than 12 minutes.

Congratulations!!!!!
Wow, 4000 hours.
I look forward to being your wing man on some future wednesday morning.

Turbo, YOU are MY hero! YOU are also MY target :D Congrats to you my friend! Rosie & Tuppergal

rosie, i feel you comn up my tail pipe all the time. it is hard to believe you did all those hours along with havn a full time job, build too.
you are my hero, and my competition. you keep me motivated. miss you all, from the east coast :) turkey time :eek:

img0392l.jpg

mine shaft, virgin gorda, bvi,20??

Last edited:
in todays avgas prices yes, in 2000 avgas was $1.25. still the biggest cost of flying is gasoline. found a credit that gives back 3% on fuel purchases. yippee.
ill drink to that!!!!:cool:

img1359lt.jpg

you dont know how lucky you are!! 4000 hours x 35ltrs = 140,000 litres. in uk at moment AVGAS is ?2 per litre ($3 or $12 per gallon) so 140,000 x 2 = ?280,000 or $420,000!

Well done though, thats a serious milestone!

Dave

Turbo, Since the world looks at homebuilts as inferior aircraft, would you please list anything that was not routine maintenance to keep your 6A in the air for 4000 hours?

My 76 Warrior was sold in 2010 with 3800 hours on it and more than enough AD's and SB's. The 6A that I have is soooooo much more fun to fly and at less than 1/2 the cost per hour.

In my first month of flying I put just over 40 hours on my airplane. This was a heck of a pace. To think that I would need to fly at that same pace for 8+ YEARS to get where you are puts it in perspective for me. That is AMAZING. Thanks for sharing Turbo!

To put it another way--

4,000 hours times say an average of 150 MPH = 600,000 miles.

That is 25 times around the earth.

Or a trip to the moon and back, and still 5 times around the earth.

Maybe you should apply at NASA.........

You must be kinda tired from all that travel:eek:

you know, im feeling a bit of RV lag from all that flying, and i feel pretty good.

i did some math and it turns out to be about an hour a day average. i must be crazy.

Back