Is this plane in Massachusetts?
Old 04-07-2021, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skybolt31 View Post
Is this plane in Massachusetts?
Yes it is.
Old 04-08-2021, 02:45 AM

Default The panel

Vanís panel is really Fred Flintstone stuff! There are a couple of really modern panels available, with very easily removable panels for access to the rear.

Go with the latest state of the art EFIS screens with weather and traffic in real-time. Moving weather in our -10 was one of the wisest moves we made.

Best of luck on this fine airplane.

Regards,
Building RV-12, Wings, fuse, emp complete. FWF in progress.
Old 04-08-2021, 04:51 AM

Is there an overhead panel for (at least) fresh air delivery to your noggin?

Hop-Along Aerodrome (12VA)
RV-6A - N30YD - Built '98 / sold '20
RV-10 - N130YD - Phase 1 flying

Donation constant, K, = 1/woke censorship; not looking good this year.
Old 04-08-2021, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierre smith View Post
Vanís panel is really Fred Flintstone stuff! There are a couple of really modern panels available, with very easily removable panels for access to the rear.

Go with the latest state of the art EFIS screens with weather and traffic in real-time. Moving weather in our -10 was one of the wisest moves we made.

Best of luck on this fine airplane.
Of the avionics that were previously installed or purchased by my father, one of the few components I'll be keeping is the GTN-650. Beyond that, I plan to do a full G3X panel.

I am interested in both the Aerosport 310 panel and the quad armrest. But at 6'1" and 225lbs, I'm concerned about the ergonomics of this setup with regard to knee/thigh/leg room vs. some kind of traditional panel with push-pull T/P/M, leaving open the space beneath the panel and above the tunnel. The original panel was configured with the factory throttle quadrant.

I'm going to Sun 'n Fun and I'm hoping there will be many RV-10's on the flight line. Hopefully, I be invited to sit in a few with various different interior configurations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Boyd View Post
Is there an overhead panel for (at least) fresh air delivery to your noggin?
There is an overhead, though I'm not sure how it's been plumbed. I haven't seen the airplane for many years but I think the overhead is an early Aerosport panel. I plan to be at the hangar in a couple of weeks so I'll have a much better feel for things at that point.
Old 04-08-2021, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad's RV-10 View Post
Gentleman, I'm looking to get a little direction and guidance. My father built an early RV-10. It took him quite a while to complete but he received the airworthiness signoff in 2013. For a multitude of reasons, he never flew the airplane and decided to deconstruct much of the instrument panel for various modifications.

Unfortunately, my father recently passed away having never completed the panel improvements. I have inherited the airplane and will be removing the wings and empennage in order to ship the aircraft to a shop for completion. I will have the shop install a completely new Garmin panel and also have any and all applicable Service Bulletins addressed.

The plane has not yet been painted and will undergo quite a bit of disassembly for the process of shipping and panel reinstallation.

What I'd like to know is what modifications and improvements should be considered for an aircraft at this stage of completion? For example, I've read about the PlaneAround door center cam kit and I intend to have this installed. All of these improvements or modifications will be performed by the shop.

I'm also intrigued by the SDS EM-5 and am considering having this installed as well, although I have not committed to anything at this point.

While the plane will probably undergo nearly a complete rewire, I know my father installed a Vertical Power VPX and as of now, I intend to keep that as part of the new electrical and avionics installation.

I'm sorry my dad never got to fly his airplane and I'd really like to make this the airplane he dreamed it could be.

Thanks for any and all feedback.
I have a very nice completed RV-10 with an all Garmin 3 screen panel, a GTN 650, and various mods (lots of Aerosport Products), that make it better than a lot of Cirrus SR-22's. Feel free to call and chat, or come by and fly mine, and I can go over all the mods that made mine a very nice "Magic Carpet". My Cell is 317 407 8479.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0523.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	374.7 KB
ID:	10154  

Larry Anderson
Indianapolis
RV-Super 8 N88XT SOLD
RV-10 QB N38LA Flying
Helicopter Instructor Pilot
Standardization I.P.
Instrument Examiner
U.S. Army Retired
EMS Pilot for LifeLine
At IU Health Retired :-)
Although Exempt,
Donated for 2021
Old 04-08-2021, 05:42 PM

First off, sorry about the loss of your father.

Glad you are keeping the plane, and while not a 10 owner (yet), outside of modern panel maybe:

LED lighting (interior and exterior)
P-Mags (or other electronic ignition)
Not sure on the 10 if cowl flaps are a necessary item- but now would be the time
Ruder trim (aerosport has a nice set up)
If it's not already been addressed possibly upgrade the nose wheel bearings or a Berringer wheel. Could do the mains too, or just the Anti-splat bearing upgrade.
First flight 5/25/2021
Phase 1
2018/19/20 VAF dues paid
Old 04-08-2021, 09:05 PM

Default PH aviation flap motor

The PH aviation flap motor is superior to Vans. Internal flap positioner and much more robust. Iíd leave it. Iím using it now in the 14 and purchased for the 10.
Old 04-09-2021, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackhawkSP View Post
I have a very nice completed RV-10 with an all Garmin 3 screen panel...

...Feel free to call and chat, or come by and fly mine, and I can go over all the mods that made mine a very nice "Magic Carpet". My Cell is 317 407 8479.
Thanks so much, Larry! Very gracious of you to offer your time. You and I actually spoke a few weeks ago. I'll be sure to reach out again when I get closer to finalizing the panel. I'm definitely going with Garmin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreed View Post
First off, sorry about the loss of your father.

P-Mags (or other electronic ignition)
Not sure on the 10 if cowl flaps are a necessary item- but now would be the time...

...If it's not already been addressed possibly upgrade the nose wheel bearings or a Berringer wheel. Could do the mains too, or just the Anti-splat bearing upgrade.
Thank you for the condolences. I am interested in the SDS EM-5 full electronic ignition and fuel injection system. But if I don't go that route, I will look at other electronic ignition options. I can't believe those 6 cylinder P-Mags are finally available. I remember stopping by their booth at Oshkosh 10+ years ago and they said the 6 cylinder P-Mag would be introduced within the year.

I'll have to do some reading about the cowl flaps and wheel bearings. Thanks for the suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmattmul View Post
The PH aviation flap motor is superior to Vans. Internal flap positioner and much more robust. Iíd leave it...
The plane was built with the Van's actuator. I'm wondering if it would be worthwhile to retrofit with the PH actuator while it's disassembled?
Old 04-09-2021, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad's RV-10 View Post
Yes it is.
If it is the one at Westfield, I met your dad on several occasions and am sorry to hear of his passing, seemed like a first class guy. I am based at Westfield and if I can be of any assistance, let me know.