What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sorry. Down elevator stop question.

Freemasm

Well Known Member
I’m probably being my typical blind, dumb self. Where is the down elevator stop? I’m fabbing the push/pull tube and trying to ensure I have adequate adjustability. The the bellcrank-bulkhead I/F a de facto one? Sorry if I’m missing something obvious. Not the first time. Thanks.

Drawing #30

Drawing 30 shows (but barely) the "location" of the elevator control stops.

Really only aluminum strips attached to bulkheads 411 & 412, that interfere with the movement of the elevator bell cranks to yield (net) the up/down limits as indicated elsewhere.

Tip - If your bell cranks are not in line with one another (mine weren't), there may be an "offset" in the stops to allow contact with both bell cranks at the up/down limits.

YMMV - And probably will.

HFS

Thanks and sorry for being blind (again). The "quickbuilder" installed the bellcrank at BH 8, 1/4" off (placed relative to the BH horizontal flange versus the vertical section). Also, the hole in the deck between 11 and 12 is too small so I can't get full range of motion until that's changed. Should be able to make it work without moving the bellcrank/autopilot servo brackets. The middle elevator bellcrank might be off by a couple of degrees after modifying the push tubes to fit. Force wise, nothing will be noticeable; no more than 3% change in forces required. Also trying to leave enough rod end adjustment if I wish to change the elevator control sensitivity. Guess we'll see.

The middle bellcrank/bulkhead "contact" point would actually seem to be a better place for the elevator down limit. The geometry doesn't provide the mechanical (dis)advantage that the elevator BC hitting against #11 would; also steel against aluminum there. That said, I'll probably stick to the plan.

Thanks again.

Back