What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV -7/A empennage kit questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

irontrack

I just ordered my first two kits; an RV7 empennage and wings kit. I have a few questions

1: Can an RV7 empennage kit (dragon tail) be used on an RV7A fuselage. I'm pretty sure I want the conventional gear, but I'm not done with my tailwheel endorsement yet so I'm wondering if I have an out (should I change my mind).

2: Does the -7 empennage kit have any of the cone section with it (like the 14)? I'm building the empennage and wings in my apartment and I want to know how hard it'll be/ if I can get them out through a door.

I start training in a super cub next week and I'm stoked :D

Question #1 - The only emp kit differences I can recall between tail- and nose-dragger -7 are the holes drilled in the bottom of the VS main spar; I think they're a little different if there's no tailwheel spring to attach there. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. :rolleyes:

Question #2 - Nope, the RV-7 emp kit is *just* the emp, no tailcone. Shouldn't have too much trouble maneuvering them through a door.

If you follow the plans you'll be building the horizontal stab and elevators first and that'll give you some extra tailwheel training time to decide that you really want a taildragger! ;)

HTH

Dave

Last edited:
Congrats! The tailwheel is much more fun in my opinion.. faster, lighter, but most importantly, more fun! I believe once you get the hang of tailwheel flying, you’ll never look back! That being said, I believe the tails are essentially the same. There may be a little difference where the rudder horn has holes for the tailwheel chains. There is NOT any type of tail cone like the -10 and the -14. That’s all part of the fuselage. The tail kit only has a HS, VS, two elevators and a rudder.

Thanks for the replies. yeah, I know I'll probably have a lot more fun flying the tail wheels. plus they look so much better. I wish I'd ordered these kits a while ago. It took me a while to realize I could build the first two kits in my apartment and that the lead times would give me time to save.

Also, I just talked to vans to make sure. it seems for the RV 7 that the wings and empennage are landing gear agnostic. so, you can do the empennage AND the wings without knowing what type of landing gear you want to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back