What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

FL-704 platenut

N82VM

Well Known Member
Before I ruin a part...I did a search but did not come up with anything. I wanted to make sure that I am interpreting the plans correctly

The way I’m reading drawing 14B , the FL-706B doubler is the only thing with a machine countersink (a longer rivet connecting the doubler to the rib to the nut plate), the other I would assume dimple for the rib to nut plate connection.

Can someone explain?

When I did a google search

This link https://theskunkwerx.com/rv7/re-fit-nutplates-on-the-flap-doublers/
Shows machine countersinking FL-704,

This seems contrary to plans.

I believe that you are interpreting the plans correctly and that they are pretty clear in this instance.

Lynn's blog post is showing him following the plans correctly as well. The rivet he is fitting in that post is the one that doesn't go through the FL-706B doubler.

-Ted

The rivet that does not go through the doubler is the one in question.
Why did he machine it?

Sorry, I misunderstood your question.

A lot of builders, myself included, use the NAS "oops" rivets with the small heads when installing platenuts. The reason is that they can be set flush with a very small countersink. The alternative is to dimple the rib _and_ the platenut. Dimpling platenuts is a pain because it causes them to distort, requiring hammering back into a flat shape.

-Ted

Back