What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

F-748 baggage tunnel cover fit question.

Desert Rat

Well Known Member
So I'm to the step where you temporarily fit this. It's already drilled, so there isn't anything do to it except debur, but I've got a quick question for the collective.

It appears that the aft vertical flange goes fwd of the lower baggage panel, right?

Even without that panel in place, it's wanting to sit too far fwd by about 1/16" for the holes common to the floor and inner rib nut plates to line up. It's going to be .025" worse once I get the baggage panel in there under it.

Has anybody else had a fit problem with this?

Last edited:
I'm of absolutely no help, but I noticed the same thing when I did a test-fit of this cover while I worked on the centre fuse. With Cleco's in the holes it did kind-of fit OK, but that was without the rear baggage cover in place. Keen also to hear what others did.

I have my F-748 tunnel cover in front of the baggage bulkhead as the plans show, but the fit was not great. It did not want to sit flat. I read about how others have the same fit issue and adjusted the location of the bend for the vertical flange and just oblonged the 2 mounting holes in the vertical flange. I reasoned that that tunnel cover isn't structural so who cares. Protip...edge roll the sides of the F-748 tunnel cover to help it sit tight to the baggage floor. The rear part of the tunnel cover likes to sit a tiny bit proud.

Pics here
http://garetsrv.blogspot.com/2021/02/more-fitting-f-748-baggage-tunnel-cover.html

Side note: If your feeling energetic, I have heard of people making their own F-748 tunnel cover and placing the bend for the vertical flange in the correct spot for their fitment.

Last edited:
Thanks guys- Not a hard part to fabricate or modify at all, but I was a little concerned that it didn't fit right out of the box.

So far on this project, if something doesn't fit, it's because of something I've done wrong in the assembly. Makes me feel better to know that other folks have had the same problem.

Back