What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Build shop setup

FlyingDiver

Well Known Member
I think this is the right forum...

Working on getting everything together for my shop now. I know I'm going to need some power tools that really need to be on a sturdy bench, like a bandsaw, drill press, bench grinder.

What do people recommend for that? Dimensions? Is there something suitable from HF or another big-box store, or do I need to build one?

I'm planning on building a couple of the EAA tables or similar. Anyone have plans for something that has a reasonable clamp edge on it? Not sure how well the standard EAA design works for clamping. Or maybe I just need to get the right clamps.

TIA

joe

I modeled my benches after the EAA benches. I'd say that design is overkill for what the intended use of the benches is, but I guess that means I'm done building benches for the next 50 years.

In terms of measurements, I just sized the tops based on using up a full sheet of ply between 3 bench tops - two 3x4 benches for general work and one 2x4 to mount some power tools on. I wanted a 2" lip for clamping, so just undersized the frames accordingly. I didn't put a lip around the 2x4 bench since I don't need to clamp anything there.

I just spent a couple of months setting up my shop, and here are a few things I did that have worked out really well now that my build is underway:

My shop isn't huge (it's barely a 2-car garage, so about 20 x 20), so I decided to go with a single work table that's a little larger than the EAA ones. Mine is 72 x 39 inches. The top is 1.75" birch butcher block that I purchased unfinished from Lowes. I put 2 coats of polyurethane on all sides for protection and to keep the wood stable. I designed it with a 3" lip all around for clamping purposes -- and make use of that all the time. The frame is poplar and is on locking casters. It's solid as a rock.

i-3Bgc9Fg-L.jpg

I built a separate cart for the DRDT-2 dimpler and a machinist's vise. It too is on casters and can be parked next to the work table or rolled out of the way.

i-24mdJVC-L.jpg

Having used a benchtop drill press in the past and having been somewhat frustrated with its limitations, I splurged and bought a full size one. You guessed it, it's also on a mobile base. (You can see it in the background of the pic above.)

My band saw is a benchtop one from Grizzly. It's awesome. I'd recommend it to anyone. It's light enough to move around as needed.

i-kD34Zmv-XL.jpg

The bench grinder (which is really a bench Scotch-Briter) is on a little pedestal stand against a wall. Too unstable to roll around, so it's NOT on casters. ;)

i-n65Rdbh-L.jpg

And whatever you do, don't forget the VAF posters on the wall! :D

EAA Benches

I built two standard EAA benches and one 3x4 with the leftover plywood. Same frame. I just adjusted dimensions to the size. Big one has all the bench tools.
I never missed the clamp overhang. I actually prefer clamping to the entire frame. Get the right clamps and it's a non issue. When you clamp to a 2x4, stuff don't move.
To each their own. Whatever makes you happy, build it.

Thanks for the suggestions and photos. It really helps. I won't have the first kit until September at the earliest, so I have plenty of time. Right now I'm waiting on getting my Dad's miter saw back from the neighbor my stepmom lent it to. Then I'll be able to start building the tables.

CJK’s benches are beautiful, they look like furniture.

When I built mine I decided to use a cheap wood to top the bench, almost a sacrificial layer, so I didn't worry about damage caused, drilling in to the bench and so on. It just suited the way I worked, my lack of experience or clumsiness call it what you like.

FWIW

Scotch bright machine

Harbor freight has as excellent motor with shafts both sides that can mount scotch bright wheels much better than using a bench grinder. The shafts are extended and allow you to get the parts closer to the wheel.

Swag has a wonderful steel/wood/aluminum cutting small saw that uses a portable bandsaw that mounts on a small table. Wonderful tool! Bought two.

Sacrificial layer

CJK’s benches are beautiful, they look like furniture.

When I built mine I decided to use a cheap wood to top the bench, almost a sacrificial layer, so I didn't worry about damage caused, drilling in to the bench and so on. It just suited the way I worked, my lack of experience or clumsiness call it what you like.

FWIW

They are beautiful.
Mine get pretty beat up and greasy between airplane and fixing old 4x4s. When they get rough, I smear spackling into the blemishes and a thin layer all over the top. Then I run a belt sander over followed by finer sand with the random orbital. Good for quite a while. Again, whatever flips your skirt.

I also built EAA benches, sized to suit me (2' by 4' to get the most out of my plywood and because my shop is small, and 36" tall because I am not short). They are easy to build and sturdy if you don't forget to glue them. I built four, intending to make them all identical, which is why they're all slightly different, with modified frame dimensions to create tabletop overhang. The ones with overhang are nice for e.g. spring clamps, but strength is limited by the tabletop-to-frame attachment. The ones with no overhang work with long-reach bar clamps, but less good for holding delicate items.

One mistake was making them too pretty - finish-grade plywood tops with several rounds of sanding and urethane. Breaks my heart to put a ding in them. I got a sheet of 3/4 MDF to make tabletop tops, a less-pretty semi-sacrificial surface. One of those, I carved a hole in it to hold my back-riveting plate flush. That's not always the right place for the plate though.

On tools - look at the Harbor Freight buffer motor. I have my Scotchbrite wheel on a bench grinder, which is OK but the clearance from wheel to motor is tight. The buffer has extended arbors to hold the wheel well away from the motor. I think that's gonna be my next upgrade.

Last edited:
Sacrificial top

I always use 1/8" Masonite (tempered hardboard) for my tops...works great, inexpensive, and easily replaceable.

It is a nice smooth, durable material...just don't spill your drink on it!

Hi Joe,
You've gotten some good suggestions so I'll just share how I approached my shop. After a 1-1/2 years at it, I've finished all the major fabrication and felt my shop worked out pretty well. Just PM me if you want any more details. In order get the most flexibility in my limited space, I bought two rolling workbenches that can be rolled under the stationary workbenches on the wall. I built a bench top from a piece of 3/4" plywood and mounted it to the top of the two rolling workbenches. I've configured the two rolling benches in every way imaginable for the task needs. It was always handy have quick access to my tools while working. Best of luck with your build.

Attachments

• IMG_6505.jpg
    IMG_6505.jpg
    322.8 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_6673.jpg
    IMG_6673.jpg
    392.2 KB · Views: 261
That one is supposed to be really quiet, compared to their other models. Any suggestions from HD or Lowes instead?

Or

You could always build a box around it and insulate the box...

I am using a two stage compressor, 80 gallon, and it is installed in another room in the shop...

Compressor

Unless you just want something new, compressors are one of those things that tend to be all over Craigslist. If you do a little homework, you can get A LOT more for your money than buying new.

If you want something new, most of the compressors (in the price range of that one at Harbor Freight) at the big box stores are going to be very similar. Box store brands tend to roll off the same factory line, just with small tweaks and a different sticker, so I wouldn't lose much sleep in choosing one over another. Just make sure you get enough CFM to run the tools, and the larger the tank the better.

Really take the comments about noise to heart! Oilless compressors seem fine when you're just around them for a minute, but have one of those things stuck in the garage with you for hours at a time and you'll want to back over it with the car. I'm not familiar with that HF unit, but it does indeed seem quiet though, if their dB ratings are accurate. That being said, it's a new world now, so if you have some noise cancelling earphones with a little music running, the oilless scream isn't quite as bad. Still bad, just not quite as bad.

If you use the compressor for spraying paint, that'll govern the compressor requirements. A number of people use a rattle-can primer and even rattlecan paint for the interior. Your plane has a side-panel option so that might not be necessary.

Some people wrap their planes in vinyl and that seems to work out well too, without needing a powerful compressor. Some of the vinyl samples I've seem would be stunning on a panel, and the carbon-look vinyl is not uncommon there.

If all you're doing with the compressor is building the airframe, you can get by with a smallish one. But consider noise, as that can be a real annoyance. Also, often a used compressor meets the need and is less expensive.

Dave

how big a compressor do I need?

Look at the tools, most will have a CFM rating if they use enough to worry about, and the compressor will have a CFM rating as well. Non-continuous tools (rivet pullers, squeezers, rivet guns) don't need much at all, I think a cheapo pancake compressor would do. Continuous tools can use a lot - I have a 20gal "5HP" (*) that can't even run a die grinder for more than 20 seconds. Wouldn't be any good for a paint gun either, nor an air drill. I have my eye on a 60gal 11CFM unit, just waiting for it to go on sale.

(*) It's not 5HP, manufacturers love to lie about that. It runs on a 15A 120V circuit, 1HP = 746 watts, 15A*240V=1800W, so... yeah. I think the CFM ratings are a truer way to compare them. Also, oiled are quieter than oilless, but you have to maintain the oil.

Did you do anything interesting with it?

I did work in Aerospace in the '80s. Early GPS testing, B-1 aircraft test systems, AAMRAM missile guidance simulation software. The company I worked for also did the Backup Flight System for the Space Shuttle, but I could never get onto that project.

Then slid into full-time software work in the late 80s, not in Aerospace.

Nice

Yeah, I wanted to work on the space shuttle program...would have graduated in '87...

The Challenger crash ended those hopes...

One door closes, another one opens...ended up an airline pilot...

I made this which has saved me a lot of time moving equipment around in addition to 2 eaa tables.

Attachments

• A5275AAA-983F-446F-95CD-4C86A7A66273.jpeg
    A5275AAA-983F-446F-95CD-4C86A7A66273.jpeg
    787.7 KB · Views: 281
Two thoughts: workbench, drill press (tabletop model), and wing kit box are all on wheels. Really helps in moving things around as needed.

Second, the horizontal compressor takes up more valuable floor space. (I have the horizontal type but will go with vertical model next time).

I’m half way through the wings and I’ve reconfigured the shop many times - the more you can put on wheels the better.

My wheels fold up and down so the item is sitting on its legs for better stability, as shown in the post showing my power tool bench. I have moved these tools more than once out of the way. Also good to be able to move it when drilling longer pieces.

This Shop Cart had been very very useful - what I need is at hand wherever I am working.

I'm not as good a carpenter as CJK, but I finished the tables today.

Attachments

• IMG_6395.jpg
    IMG_6395.jpg
    470.7 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_6396.jpg
    IMG_6396.jpg
    566.7 KB · Views: 237
I built these wall mounted work benches to help with the really loooooong subassemblies:

The legs fold up, and then the work surfaces themselves fold down against the wall out of the way.

Also built a stand for the DRDT dimpler that fits right between the benches:

This let me get away with a single EAA workbench, with a "sidecar" to hold the bandsaw surface right up level with the table top:

TASEsq: That shop cart is awesome! I use those storage bins also and was trying to find a way to store them vs just stacking.

Are the plans/parts list available? I may have to build one while awaiting the fuselage kit.

Ooh - maybe!

How are you versed with Google Sketchup?

Here is a link to the Sketchup File

I’m now using square 5lt olive oil tins for clecos on the top of it and a bunch of oil cans to hold the various tools I use a lot - I’m very happy with how it’s turned out.

Last edited:
Tis the season....

Since lumber seems to be worth more than gold, here’s a tip I used many years ago... maybe it works for you, maybe not. If there’s a college in your area, drive around looking for people throwing out lumber from dorm room lofted beds. I built my tank of a bench about 20 years ago doing this. It’s super heavy but super sturdy. Seems to be the right time of year for this activity but maybe the COVID world screwed that up too.

Another thing I’d mention for shop setup is go to Aircraft Spruce and order a bunch of washers, nuts, screws of various sizes, maybe nut plates and some various sizes of bolts. It’ll really help you later on it your project. Especially if you have something to fly already, the urge to steal hardware from the kit for the currently flying bird is pretty high. Plus with this, it’ll take maybe $200, but you’ll save money in shipping in the long run too.

Is this the right HF buffer with the longer shafts? https://www.harborfreight.com/6-in-buffer-61557.html

That is the current model, yes. I bought the version of that 12 yrs ago and it has been used extensively during that period. It has served me surprisingly well. I have a wheel on each end, one medium and one soft. Balance is pretty good. I never measured the runout.

I can not say how the current models compare, quality wise.

Back