What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rescue Map

petehowell

Well Known Member
One of those kids I have told me it would be cool to Google Map the Dog trips, so I tried it, and it is pretty cool! I was able to embed pictures and links to the stories on VAF.....

10 dogs, 8 airports and some good times!

RV%20Boxer%20Rescue%20-%20Google%20Maps%20-%20Google%20Chrome%20152010%20102829%20PM.jpg

Last edited:
VAF wide...

If anyone else that has done rescues wants to add their trips to this map, let me know and I will open edit access to you. We can make this VAF wide.

Can you?

Hi Pete,

Can you superimpose the milage near every course line? That would be cool.

Great Idea, Tell me how to do it!

I have an Iphone and GoogleMap, but I'm not sure how you did that with the pic's. can you share either how to do it or where to get the instructions to do it.

Jerry
RV6A, N331RD

Don't Know

Darwin,

It shows dist if you click the line. That might need to be good enough for now, but I will work on it.

Hi Pete,

Can you superimpose the milage near every course line? That would be cool.

Last edited:
...and to think I was recording my rescue flights in a simple text file! That's really cool, Pete. Oh BTW, I just walked in the door from helping to fly 35+ dogs and 2 cats from the ATL area to Ocala, FL. We were five planes in all and most of the dogs were small pups. There were 9 in my plane alone! Write up and pictures coming...left the camera in the plane. :(

Way to Go!

Awesome Deal! I watched ya on APRS

Bruce - I invited you to add to the Rescue map - let me know if the invite did not come thru.

...and to think I was recording my rescue flights in a simple text file! That's really cool, Pete. Oh BTW, I just walked in the door from helping to fly 35+ dogs and 2 cats from the ATL area to Ocala, FL. We were five planes in all and most of the dogs were small pups. There were 9 in my plane alone! Write up and pictures coming...left the camera in the plane. :(

Pete,
I placed my markers and played around with drawing lines until the app apparently got tired of me and stopped letting me put lines down. Gonna let it rest for now and try later. Then I will put in descriptors and pictures.

I was gonna PM but I think others can benefit from my steep learning curve so here goes:

I got the lines in there but I'm not sure what would be better..a) lines from my homebase to where the dog ended up, or b) lines from HB to dog pickup to dog final destination (tends to clutter things up, so not practical), or c) dog p/u to dog dropoff. Looks like you just put lines from HB to drop point. That looks neater.

Back