What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing Cradle Plans

CessnaTPA

I finished the empennage and while I wait for the wings to arrive I'd like to build a cradle for them. What have you guys built? Would love to see some pics. Are there any building plans that work well for the RV12?
Thanks

Didn’t create any plans, but this is what I built. Can’t see them in the photo but there are Harbor Freight roller balls under the ends of the outriggers for stability. Works for me.

19-05-10%2002.JPG

I built this a couple weeks ago

I found these plans on facebook somewhere. It was super easy. Built it with my daughter a couple weeks ago

Attachments

• wing cradle.png
    wing cradle.png
    757.4 KB · Views: 1,102
I built a wing caddie using the Van's shipping crate for the spars. Yes, it is long and takes up a lot of room ... but the thing I like about it is the spar crate is slightly longer than the completed wings, so there is no chance of accidentally rolling either the spar root or wing tip into a wall.

The wing caddie was also built strong enough to secure the wings nicely during the move to the hangar inside a friends trailer. The spars were clamped onto the padded cross brace. Below is a link to the blog showing a few photos.

http://www.dogaviation.com/2013/04/rackem-up-left-wing-in-side-pocket.html

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-tLccbbhn7Tk/VBS0pX5pIkI/AAAAAAAAIBM/KA2sguVBtt4/s1600/DSC08876.JPG

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ibDXVNNiaFA/VBS2sCjpcrI/AAAAAAAAIBY/wB4Nl92UTO8/s1600/DSC08878.JPG

Last edited:
I built an extended version of the standard EAA wing cradle with some adaptations to support the build. Initially it had supports for the spars at both ends so that I could do most of the construction in the stand. Once the wing was skinned it was a quick swap to the carpet to support the outboard ends. The top rail was handy for storing some of the longer parts throughout the build. It has also proven to be nice and sturdy for transport. While I don't plan to remove my wings much once finished, I intend to keep the cradle around the hangar for the times when I do.

I finished the empennage and while I wait for the wings to arrive I'd like to build a cradle for them. What have you guys built? Would love to see some pics. Are there any building plans that work well for the RV12?
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2174.jpeg
    IMG_2174.jpeg
    65.9 KB · Views: 363
  • IMG_0270.jpeg
    IMG_0270.jpeg
    121.2 KB · Views: 359
  • IMG_0371.jpeg
    IMG_0371.jpeg
    98.3 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_0373.jpeg
    IMG_0373.jpeg
    87.5 KB · Views: 237
Wing Cradle

Good Afternoon:

I built two of these. They work well, especially when you need to slide the wings in and there is nobody to help.

Attachments

• Stand 1.pdf
    482.6 KB · Views: 480
My Wing Cradle

Thanks for all the suggestions, here is the finished product. Now I have to wait until August+ for Van's to ship me the wing kit I ordered in February.

Attachments

• 20210617_173217.jpg
    20210617_173217.jpg
    506.7 KB · Views: 395
  • 20210617_173229.jpg
    20210617_173229.jpg
    504.5 KB · Views: 223
Thanks for all the suggestions, here is the finished product. Now I have to wait until August+ for Van's to ship me the wing kit I ordered in February.

That turned out nice looking.. YOU EVEN PAINTED IT! :) I'm about to build the exact same design.

That turned out nice looking.. YOU EVEN PAINTED IT! :) I'm about to build the exact same design.

Thanks and I know it was a lil overkill with painting it but that's what I do lol.
I got the 30ft tow strap off Amazon for $22 and the wheels from harbor freight.

Thanks and I know it was a lil overkill with painting it but that's what I do lol.
I got the 30ft tow strap off Amazon for $22 and the wheels from harbor freight.

I have had about 30 feet of old fire hose taking up room in the shop that I kept for years thinking I would eventually find a use for it.. I'm planning to try to use it for my wing cradles rather than tow straps.

My only concern with that is how abrasive is the fire hose? Would you be putting a painted wing on it?

I have had about 30 feet of old fire hose taking up room in the shop that I kept for years thinking I would eventually find a use for it.. I'm planning to try to use it for my wing cradles rather than tow straps.

My only concern with that is how abrasive is the fire hose? Would you be putting a painted wing on it?

Yes, painted.. They will sit in the cradle up against the hanger wall motionless for a few days at a time. I think the firehose exterior is made out of a synthetic woven canvas type material. I don't think it will scratch the paint.

Back