What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV6 Transition Training Needed To Meet Insurance Requirements

Plumbmaster

Guys, I've been able to recently acquire a -6 after selling my -6A "Stubbs" in July of 2020. I now have 9 hours of recent tailwheel time, 7 hours in a 1942 Funk and the other two hours in a C140. Again these hours are all in the last month.
I have a CFI lined up who has -4, -7 and -8 time but no -6 time. The insurance policy specifically states "time in model". I have approached my insurance company and asked them if the other model times wold meet their requirements, but they said no.
The transition training CFI on Van's website for the west coast is booked until November, so I'm reaching out here to see if anyone knows of a -6 CFI on the west who can do the training to meet the insurance company requirements.
Please don't presume that I think I can just fly the -6 with limited tailwheel experience, I know better! I just want to protect t my financial investment while learning to fly the -6.
The new to me RV6 and I are located at KCCR, any and all referrals will be appreciated!

By the way, the tail number of the -6 is 722DK...

I will be in Los Angeles in August. I own an RV6. Maybe I can help. Brett Hunter 513-464-1151.

Mike Seager (Vans) teaches tailwheel in a -7. Any -7 should be good for insurance, after all there are more differences between different configurations of engine and prop than between the identical -6 and -7 maybe you need a different carrier. Vans can not instruct unless the taildragger endorsement is complete.

Call Jenny at Gallagher. 636-449-2813 She knows RVs very well.

I have a CFI lined up who has -4, -7 and -8 time but no -6 time. The insurance policy specifically states "time in model". I have approached my insurance company and asked them if the other model times wold meet their requirements, but they said no.

I don't know how hard you pushed your insurance agent, but I'd make a concerted effort to get them to convince the underwriter that the difference between a -7 and a -6 is insignificant, and "your" RV-7 experienced instructor should be completely up to the job.

Does anyone have details on the new FAA rule regarding paid instruction in an EAB, that is supposed to go into effect today (July 12, 2021)? We talked about it yesterday at our EAA chapter meeting and I don’t have the details, but it sounds like you can’t receive pay for instructing, including BFR’s, in anything but a standard category aircraft, unless you get a one time LODA from your local FSDO.
Hate to hijack a thread, but it has to do with this very subject.

Guys, I've been able to recently acquire a -6 after selling my -6A "Stubbs" in July of 2020. I now have 9 hours of recent tailwheel time, 7 hours in a 1942 Funk and the other two hours in a C140. Again these hours are all in the last month.
The transition training CFI on Van's website for the west coast is booked until November, so I'm reaching out here to see if anyone knows of a -6 CFI on the west who can do the training to meet the insurance company requirements.
Please don't presume that I think I can just fly the -6 with limited tailwheel experience, I know better! I just want to protect t my financial investment while learning to fly the -6.
The new to me RV6 and I are located at KCCR, any and all referrals will be appreciated!

By the way, the tail number of the -6 is 722DK...

I would get your broker to push back harder on the underwriter. The 6 and 7 are functionally identical in flight characteristics and there should be no logical reason that you cannot conduct your transition training with an instructor with the required number of hours in a 7. A letter from Vans may help make this point for them.

Larry

Does anyone have details on the new FAA rule regarding paid instruction in an EAB, that is supposed to go into effect today (July 12, 2021)? We talked about it yesterday at our EAA chapter meeting and I don’t have the details, but it sounds like you can’t receive pay for instructing, including BFR’s, in anything but a standard category aircraft, unless you get a one time LODA from your local FSDO.

There is a noisy thread about it here. It contains a lot of opinion, (some of which is mine), and a little bit of fact.

https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=197076

Your mileage may vary.

In terms of the subject matter at hand in *this* thread, I would concur with the others who say that you need to work with your broker (or find a different one) to educate the underwriter appropriately.

Last edited:

Yea. Pretty ugly for anyone buying an experimental. Insurance demands training and the FAA no longer allows it without a LODA. Not sure how they get around this, as I am guessing it will be over a month to get a LODA. I called my FSDO today and they said they haven't heard from HQ on how to deal with this and don't expect anything for at least a couple of weeks.

Last edited:
Yea. Pretty ugly for anyone buying an experimental. Insurance demands training and the FAA no longer allows it without a LODA. Not sure how they get around this, as I am guessing it will be over a month to get a LODA. I called my FSDO and they said they haven't heard from HQ on how to deal with this and don't expect anything in the next couple of weeks.

Strangely, some folks are already receiving the new LODA this morning, according to the thread I referenced above.

Strangely, some folks are already receiving the new LODA this morning, according to the thread I referenced above.

Yea, I saw that. I am guessing some FSDO personnel go out of their way to help. Unfortunately I suspect that is not the norm. though hope to be proven wrong. My guy certainly was not willing to do anything until HQ reaches out to him. He didn't seem to care that I was in the middle of training and had an urgent need.

Back