What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vetterman exhaust hangers on an IO-360

n747jg

Listers,

Can anyone offer some words of wisdom, or better yet, some pictures, to show me how to install the exhaust hangers for a Vetterman exhaust on an IO-360 angle valve engine (RV-8)?

It is my understanding that the rear sump is much preferable to the engine mount as an attach point, so that the exhaust moves with the engine, not the airframe. Problem is, when trying to attach from the sump bolts to the exhaust, the engine mount cross bar is in the way, at least for one of the hangers.

Thanks for your help,

Jim Gray

Slightly off topic, but I like the last few pictures on that page, Jeff. That alternate manifold mounting is a cool idea. Fewer wires running through the firewall is always good.

Also, the exhaust hanger pictures will be helpful. Thanks. I'll be tackling that soon.

Where to terminate the exhaust hangers

I see from some of the comments here that people don't like hanging the exhaust from the engine mount. I asked Clint at Vetterman's about doing so 'cuz I couldn't get the exhaust hangers to go past the engine mount when fastened to the sump. He said that hanging them off the engine mount is just fine.

Back