What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Riveting aft flange of F-711 to F-779 tailcone skin

rsr3

Well Known Member
Wow. Having a real head scratch over the riveting of the F-711 aft flange to the F-779 tailcone skin. I?ve tried searching to see how others did it. I?ve had a go at back riveting a couple of those rivets with no success. I tried to search for a cherry max replacement but it looks like the smallest you can get them is AD4.

How did everyone else manage it?

Done. For the benefit of others who may be struggling with the same issue, it was actually dead easy. I put the tailcone skin (779) into the vice, tail up, then was able to get the gun and bucking bar on it without any problem. I had tried back riveting, and it just wasn?t sitting right and the rivets weren?t pretty. Vice method was dad more successful!

Thanks for sharing, I am just about to do on my 6A and was planning to use a flush set and bucking bar because it is too narrow to back rivet. The 6A is upside down in the jig so it will have to be done from floor level!

I was just looking at this situation tonight and walked away to do some research. Looks like I have my first plan of attack, Thanks!

bucking bar and flush set works

The rivet gun with a flush set outside and a bucking bar inside on the shop heads worked out just fine when I did these rivets.

Back