What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron Trim location

WingnutWick

Well Known Member
Hello!

I am just wondering if anyone knows if it makes any difference where laterally on the trailing edge of an aileron you mount a fixed trim tab to fix a heavy wing?

Thanks

Charles

Hopefully before doing that you have read the many threads on (1) squeezing the folded edge ailerons and (2) checking/fixing the vertical height of the ailerons. 1/16” makes a big difference.

I'm just starting my wings. .how can the height of the ailerons get off? The brackets are prepunched?

Well no, I haven’t. My plane came with the trim tab when I bought it. I removed it recently to paint it and was just curious about location differences (if any) for when I put it back on. Seems like a simple enough fix, but I’m always happy to learn of other methods, and if they are not too invasive then I’ll happily implement to alleviate the need for a tab.

Hopefully before doing that you have read the many threads on (1) squeezing the folded edge ailerons and (2) checking/fixing the vertical height of the ailerons. 1/16” makes a big difference.

I'm just starting my wings. .how can the height of the ailerons get off? The brackets are prepunched?

Tolerance build up? My ailerons were built in the Philippines so I’m not sure, but I had this issue (just outboard end of left aileron, maybe 1/16”, maybe 3/32”, is all it took. It happens, Vans sells undrilled brackets for this fix (see Jereme’s reference, above).

Well no, I haven’t. My plane came with the trim tab when I bought it. I removed it recently to paint it and was just curious about location differences (if any) for when I put it back on. Seems like a simple enough fix, but I’m always happy to learn of other methods, and if they are not too invasive then I’ll happily implement to alleviate the need for a tab.

Did you paint the plane yet? Or is it still prepaint? Nows the time to fix your heavy wing so you don't have to squeeze or bang on a freshly painted surface!

Yes, plane has been painted and flying for 10 years. I just painted the trim tab recently. Trim tab has worked fine for a decade but I was just curious if anyone knew if it mattered where on the trailing edge I put it.

Did you paint the plane yet? Or is it still prepaint? Nows the time to fix your heavy wing so you don't have to squeeze or bang on a freshly painted surface!

Back