What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

HS00005 rib, help!

JeremyL

Well Known Member
So after assembling/dissembling (x10) the HS00005 rib to the aft side of the front spar. I riveted them into place. I thought I had fixed the issue of HS 00005 rib rubbing on the shop head of the extremely close adjacent rivets(outboard) but alas 2 are ever so slightly rubbing the 00005 rib. So my question is, what should I do to rectify this rub, surely I can’t just leave it and call it good? Is a dab of rtv an acceptable fix? Is drilling out and flipping the heads of the 470 rivet a fix? If I wasn’t at work, I would go snap and include a picture, sorry. Hopefully my explanation and question make sense? Thanks guys!

Actually I did have a photo to edit…….

Here is a picture I edited so that maybe you guys know what I’m saying.

Attachments

• 45242BC9-E918-408E-A6F2-BD757F5F3237.jpg
    45242BC9-E918-408E-A6F2-BD757F5F3237.jpg
    297.5 KB · Views: 366
They were really tight on mine too. Fit the rear spar and see how they look, you might find it pulls the rib away a bit. It did on mine.

Thank you, I will give that a go in the morning.

Anyone else have any suggestions if that doesn’t work??

Do you think that drilling them out and flipping them so the manufactured head (which may be smaller) will be on that side close to the rib would work? It’s not a big deal to drill and remove rivets.. if you aren’t good at that now, you will be pretty soon!

I think the nose rib goes in front of that area, so flipping the rivets may just move the problem.. perhaps under driving them a little may also be acceptable so they don’t swell to much a large diameter and cause interference..

Last edited:
I'm working on this section right now as well, RV-8, but the parts are nearly the same. Unfortunately I'm on the road and not at home to go snap a picture for you.

Is there room to notch the forward flange of the HS-00005 rib in the area that it is making contact??

Jeremy,

I'm with Tom on this question. Turn the rivets around so the manufactured heads are on the aft side of the spar. The curved head shape just fits under the curved edge of the rib. Don't modify the ribs.

-Ted

I spoke with tech support. They said that contact won’t really be an issue in that area since everything is held very tight with rivets and bolts. I made sure it was ok with them and decided to file a very little bevel in the shop head of said rivets. This created a **** near microscopic rub, so I also elected to put a small dab of RTV around and between the shop head and 00005. I also noted to inspect periodically for any potential issues, even though it is not expected to present any.

Attachments

• 6987DC11-D6FF-4F45-8E7A-B9E5FECA79AF.jpg
    6987DC11-D6FF-4F45-8E7A-B9E5FECA79AF.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 162
I spoke with tech support. They said that contact won’t really be an issue in that area since everything is held very tight with rivets and bolts. I made sure it was ok with them and decided to file a very little bevel in the shop head of said rivets. This created a **** near microscopic rub, so I also elected to put a small dab of RTV around and between the shop head and 00005. I also noted to inspect periodically for any potential issues, even though it is not expected to present any.

I believe RTV is mildly acidic and may cause corrosion later. I may be wrong, but I thought that vinegar smell was the acidic action that helps it bite to metal. I wouldn’t have used RTV, I think a dab of proseal would be better. Vans does allow RTV later in your trailing edges, so perhaps I’m wrong, and it’s fine, but on the spar of the HS? Idk.. proseal…

You can also get non corrosive / non acidic goo in place of RTV for use in trailing edges etc. For instance “mirror adhesive” is one source

I believe RTV is mildly acidic and may cause corrosion later. I may be wrong, but I thought that vinegar smell was the acidic action that helps it bite to metal. I wouldn’t have used RTV, I think a dab of proseal would be better. Vans does allow RTV later in your trailing edges, so perhaps I’m wrong, and it’s fine, but on the spar of the HS? Idk.. proseal…

Interesting, I didn’t think it would be enough to cause a significant issue, especially since it is used later on in the Ev. Also vans didn’t seem to think it would be an issue. So I’m guessing the acidity is low enough to be insignificant. We shall see, I made a note to check it periodically with a boroscope, so hopefully it stays solid without corrosion and the primer helps.

Back