What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Can an STEC autopilot work with Dynon Skyview

SPX

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Is anyone aware of an RV that has a Dynon Skyview, that has an STEC autopilot that integrates with the Dynon? Not sure if this is even possible. If yes what functions do/don't work, based on your experience?

Why?

If you already have the Skyview, that includes the autopilot control software - all you have to do is add a pair of servos at $750 each. Can you install an entire STEC autopilot for less than $1500? And then try to interface it with the Skyview?

I know the TruTrak autopilot will interface, but not as well as Dynon's. On the Dynon certified side there are many certified planes flying with a Dynon EFIS and autopilots that are not Dynon. Most likely the interface in minimal. Your best source is going to be Dynon or a Dynon installer.

My advice is the same as @airguy. Sell the STEC if you already own it and get the Dynon servos. If you don't already on the STEC, the Dynon servos will be less expensive and integration will be simple.

Why?

If you already have the Skyview, that includes the autopilot control software - all you have to do is add a pair of servos at $750 each. Can you install an entire STEC autopilot for less than $1500? And then try to interface it with the Skyview?

I met the owner of an RV with SkyView and an STEC autopilot, (bought it, didn't build it) and the current owner says that it's good for altitude hold only. Was just wondering if anyone had been able to extract more from it..

Back