What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

stall warning

jacksel

Well Known Member
Got my RV=7 QB a while back and noticed it came with a stall warning system which requires some modifications on the wing. My RV-6 has done great for years without a stall warning system so I'm wondering if I actually want to install it. Is there something I'm missing?

Vans is serious about getting people to install and use the device.

I had the same feeling about it and had about decided to go without it until I noticed the wing skin is punched for it. It took all of 5 minutes to complete the prep work to get the bracket installed. It may take some time to get it wire and calibrated, but it is going in.

I went the opposite route and closed up the pre-punched holes. That and riveting up the access cover means more work for those QBers who don't use the system, but I guess it saves time for more people, those who do install it.

I'm going to use AOA for stall warning instead.

Vans is serious about getting people to install and use the device.

They must be. Still, I would have liked to have had the choice of not having the holes pre-punched in the leading edge. Maybe instead of pre-punching the holes, provide a template to use to cut/drill them. If you go with an AOA system, isn't the stall warning redundant?

I believe that in one recent year about 24% of the RV fatalities were due to stall and/or spin situations. Better to have it (or AOA type system) and never need it than the other way around.

I've flown my Cessna 180 some many years that I'm accustomed to the stall warning sound. So I bought the stall warning kit and will install it on my RV-3B.

If you think about it, it's a single-point AOA indicator.

Dave

It's amazing how many good pilots stall or spin in. It takes about an hour total to hook up. It's your plane so it's your choice.

IMHO, it certainly can't hurt to have it. Since it will be indicating an imminent stall condition, react accordingly. Of coures, I'm biased, since I've never flown a plane that didn't have stall warning indicator! ;)

I have installed it.

I will use it as independent backup if the rest fails. I will have Dynon Skyview and Dynon pitot with AOA, but if the screen fails, or if the pitot gets clogged, then I will still have the basic stall warning.

Is it the external tab type or the internal type where only a hole is visible?

Is it punched on SB wings in addition to QB?

It is an external tab that protrudes through a small slot with the tab being bendable for calibration.

It is punched on the 8 SB wing.

The only work the builder has with regard to installing the internal bracket is remove the material between 2 holes that define the slot.

Has anyone asked Vans of the possibility of getting this particular skin without the two holes punched? My plan (long ways from it) is to go the AOA route as others have mentioned.

Has anyone asked Vans of the possibility of getting this particular skin without the two holes punched? My plan (long ways from it) is to go the AOA route as others have mentioned.

Probably, if you want to pay for the reprogramming of the CNC computer that punches wing skins. :)

That really is not necessary. The holes can be easily dimpled and plugged with short AN 3 rivets.

Right side wing skin

It should be possible to use a right side wing skin. Ask Van's, wether they can bend it the other direction or order an unbend skin.

Hrm, is that a relatively new thing they're doing? My wings are 2008 vintage, and I don't remember there being anything about that. I hope there's not a bunch of holes that I overlooked!

I ordered a right skin bent the opposite way to fit the left. They asked me to sign a waiver saying I would install an AOA of some sort in order to make the custom part. I am installing the AFS AOA, but I ordered the new skin because I'm also installing the SafeAir ER tanks, which require access panels right about, but not exactly, where the stall warning access hole is.

It was about a 30% overlap, and I seem to recall that the overlap was not enough to actually reach where the tank parts are. So I decided to put that panel where it needed as I was already doing the AOA. Note that the tank actually interferes with the directed location of the AOA ports on the outbound leading edge bay, but I've seen an 8 recently that has both, he just moved the top AOA port aft a bit to clear the tank and it seems to work fine for him, I'm not there myself.

Stall Warning

-8A with AFS AOA. 220 hrs. over 14 months. Instead of a separate stall warning indicator, I periodically do a stall review flight - clean, dirty and accelerated stalls along with slow flight and simulated landing patterns between 50 and 60 kias. Knowing what that part of the envelope feels like through periodic review, my butt becomes the stall warning indicator.

I just started flying my RV-7A and have the Dynon Skyview AOA (with an independent D-6 for backup). Dynon's new Skyview software includes an aural tone for the stall and it works great. But, I also practice stalls and slowflight on a recurring basis, for proficiency.

I too have opted not to install the Stall Vane

I am going to use the dynon system even though I orded the stall system before I decided which system to use. I bondo over the holes and put flush rivets in where the mounting bracket goes. IT will be easy to change if I ever decide to do so.

It is true that most light single and twins have a stall vane a calibrated slot for the stall warning.

However, most advance aircraft do not have an external stall warning. On the corporate jets I fly we have AOA vanes that had to be calibrated some time in the past and our displays show that we are approaching a stall conditions. I am sure you can calibrate the dynon system to each aircraft as you could other EFIS displays.

Smilin' Jack

I just started flying my RV-7A and have the Dynon Skyview AOA (with an independent D-6 for backup). Dynon's new Skyview software includes an aural tone for the stall and it works great. But, I also practice stalls and slowflight on a recurring basis, for proficiency.

Out of curiosity, are you using the Dynon pitot/AOA tube? If so what mount did you use? What did you think of the install and setup? Was there much calibrating required? Does it do well in flight?

Back