What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

time to send in nasa report?

You've got a 10 day clock and you can submit via snail mail or electronically.

Process for electronically starts here:
http://asrs.arc.nasa.gov/report/electronic.html

Phil

(Paragraph c. FAA Advisory Circular AC No. 00-46D)
c. The filing of a report with NASA concerning an incident or occurrence involving a violation of 49 U.S.C. Subtitle IV, or the FAR, is considered by FAA to be indicative of a constructive attitude. Such an attitude will tend to prevent future violations. Accordingly, although a finding of a violation may be made, neither a civil penalty nor certificate suspension will be imposed if:

1. The violation was inadvertent and not deliberate;

2. The violation did not involve a criminal offense, or accident, or action under 49U.S.C. Section 44709 which discloses a lack of qualification or competency, which are wholly excluded from this policy:

3. The person has not been found in any prior FAA enforcement action to have committed a violation of 49 U.S. C. Subtitle VIII, or any regulation promulgated there for a period of 5 years prior to the date of the occurrence; and

4. The person proves that, within 10 days after the violation, he or she completed and delivered or mailed a written report of the incident or occurrence to NASA under ASRS. See paragraphs 5c and 7b. NOTE: Paragraph 9 does not apply to air traffic controllers.

Last edited:
phil, thanks for the help. i thought it was 10 days. most people forget or are not aware of this tool. ;)

It's better than Monopoly Money

It's a get out of jail free card...almost

better safe than sorry too!

Maybe

Not necessarily, Jerry.

Jenny and I arrived at Swainsboro, Ga, after having to divert from our destination for weather concerns, (home..2J3) and KSBO is 30 miles south.

Upon arrival, there were cars and people along the edge if the runway, preparing for a fireworks display...it was July 4th, last year....and no X's on the runway ends and no notam either, so we didn't land but managed to wrangle our way home, dodging thunderstorms anyway.

I had been on Flight following, so, to be safe, I sent in a NASA report after calling the mayor and the FBO to inquire as to why there were no X's or notams.

NASA report was acknowledged and I kept a copy.

Best,

I only keep one,

but it's in the pilot's map pocket. Sent two or three in since I got my license in '92. Never had any follow-up correspondence...:)

More like a "suspended sentence". As was stated in Phil's post (#2), "Accordingly, although a finding of a violation may be made........ You will still have been found to be in violation which will need to be stated on your medical, and insurance applications!
Here are the policies governing ASRS immunity.
http://asrs.arc.nasa.gov/overview/immunity.html

Last edited:

I had been on Flight following, so, to be safe, I sent in a NASA report after calling the mayor and the FBO to inquire as to why there were no X's or notams.

Best,

Just curious why you would submit something when you did nothing wrong, since there was no NOTAM, no 'X' on runway, and you where on flight following to the airport where the 'incident' happened?

Concerned.

Curtis, believe it or not, someone from the FAA called about 30 minutes after we landed at home and asked why we didn't land at Swainsboro instead...so I got to thinking hmmm... perhaps a report might be in order to "nip it in the bud", so to speak.:)

Just curious why you would submit something when you did nothing wrong, since there was no NOTAM, no 'X' on runway, and you where on flight following to the airport where the 'incident' happened?

The main purpose of the form is not keeping the pilot out of trouble - that's just a side benefit to encourage participation. The main purpose is to track safety-of-flight issues, which that particular scenario definitely qualifies for. Even if there were NO hint at all of a possible violation, filing of the form was needed to report the safety-of-flight aspect due to the spectators near/on the runway without X's and NOTAMs.

Pierre flies for a living. When you do that you fill out a NASA report at the slightest hint of a potential problem.

George

What happens in 'Vegas, stays in 'Vegas.

Y'know, I'm a firm believer in NOT poking the bear and upsetting a hornet's nest.

The anonymous nature of NASA reports is what swayed me to report the incident, since it would not get FAA scrutiny (supposedly). In my line of business, I get examined by the Dept. of Agriculture...chemical records, etc and almost every year, ramp/hangar checks by several FAA guys AT THE SAME TIME for AD compliance, record-keeping and so on....so no, I'd definitely NOT make a report if the FAA got involved.

Best,

Back