What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

fuel pump "jack hammer"

seagull

Well Known Member
The electric fuel pump is quite loud especially amplified by the airframe. The engine can drown it out but until the engine starts it does attract attention.

Is there a replacement that is quieter or a mounting method that reduces the noise?

Or use it as your indication that the master switch is on. Tough to miss that sound as you walk away from the airplane.

Agreed! It’s the Master’s On alarm. And I don’t understand the issue considering the engine noise completely buries it when running. Similarly, I don’t understand the logic of turning off in flight, but to each their own! :)

Before start, the differing pump "jack hammer" sound also lets you know whether the fuel valve is off or on.

I always thought that thing up front was to cool off the pilot. Don’t believe it? Turn it off and watch the pilot sweat!😝

Initial thought that comes to mind is why? Since it has already been discussed that with the engine running it can't be heard anyway.

But lets just assume there is a good reason for making a modification to the fuel system (something else that is regularly discussed here in the forums regarding how dangerous that is since the highest percentage of engine stoppages in experiementals is because of fuel starvation) to mitigate the noise.

Mounting the pump to some type of vibration system may seem like a simple minor modification, but I would argue that it is not.
If the mod was doing any good, it would likely be allowing the pump to move... so as to reduce the vibration that it was able to induce in the airframe.
The bad thing about that is you would then have a fuel pump that moves, with solid fuel lines attached to it. that are meant not to.
It doesn't take a lot of imagination to guess what might probably happen after some time in operation.

I'm not meaning to cut down people from being creative, but this is a perfect example of how broad reaching an engineering decision can be.

Please consider carefully when doing so. Especially when it involves the engine and fuel system.

Mounting the pump to some type of vibration system may seem like a simple minor modification, but I would argue that it is not.
If the mod was doing any good, it would likely be allowing the pump to move... so as to reduce the vibration that it was able to induce in the airframe.
The bad thing about that is you would then have a fuel pump that moves, with solid fuel lines attached to it. that are meant not to.
It doesn't take a lot of imagination to guess what might probably happen after some time in operation. ...
And that time could be 6 months or 6 years - and the next guy that owns the aircraft will not know what happened or why.

Initial thought that comes to mind is why? Since it has already been discussed that with the engine running it can't be heard anyway.

OUCH, I did say I was going to do anything, I asked if anyone had come up with a solution.

..... and it can be heard with the engine running so maybe my engine isn’t making enough noise. My pump is louder than any I have heard, the suggested replacement is on order maybe it is different.

As mentioned in the Vapor Lock Thread, I just installed the new Facet 40135 Per Van’s Notice N18-07-12. High winds and rain will delay test flight for about a week. The new pump has about 2 additional pounds of fuel pressure when running by itself, so I think the fuel delivery system will be more robust.

The new pump definitely makes more noise than the original pump. I power the Master Switch before I climb into the airplane. I like the reassurance that the electrical pump “sounds correct” while running in a quiet airplane – music to my ears…

jack hammer

Make sure the fuel line out of the fuel tank is not touching a Baggage Rib (probably F-1221-R) before the fuel line reaches the Facet. Makes a horrible noise.

fuel pump identification

The left one was installed in 2015 part number 40105, the one on the right is the new higher pressure pump 40135. Hard to tell the difference.
fuel pumps 1.jpg

The left one was installed in 2015 part number 40105, the one on the right is the new higher pressure pump 40135. Hard to tell the difference.
View attachment 11451

I finally broke down and called Van’s.. Mine was finally shipped yesterday, along with new washer head screws for the cowling and the Baggage Area Modification Kit.

Have you installed the new pump yet? Same pressures as what Jim reported?

fuel pump identification

If you look all over the pump there is nothing different between them, nothing obvious unless you look real close. On the mounting foot there is a number stamped.

fuel pumps 4.jpg

The new pump is putting out 5.5psi without the engine running. The volume is the same or less. I will listen better tomorrow, we had helis running close by today.

I am wondering if the calculation for fuel use will change. More pressure should mean more volume. We have only one flow sensor reading the total fuel pumped.

That sounds about right. My new 40135 shows 5.0 psig when running alone without engine. Fuel flow at cruise increased from 5.0 to about 5.5 gpm. I suspect additional fuel pressure allows more return flow to the tank. At some point I will adjust K-factor to bring displayed fuel flow in line with actual.

I am wondering if the calculation for fuel use will change. More pressure should mean more volume. We have only one flow sensor reading the total fuel pumped.

I flew 2 hours today. Checked the tank fuel level with my dip stick before and after flight. The Dynon was exactly accurate on fuel remaining. I did not change the k-factor after the new higher pressure pump.

Maybe the connector on the positive lead?

The 135 comes with the “packard” connector which is a male spade connector in an odd plastic housing. I had to cut it off and add a female spade to match up with the plane harness. It looks like the 106 doesn’t have a connector, just bare stripped wire.

Thanks for the replies, this is exactly what I saw from the specs. Basically easier to crimp on a new connector to a bare wire on the 40106 to connect to the filter capacitor and power supply lead.

Unfortunately Notice N18-07-12 specifies 40135 only, despite several Facet pumps with the same specs and dimensions. It also seems the 40106 is stock in many more places then 40135, at least here in Canada.

Thanks all.

...I also love that Facet/Purolator posts "NOT INTENDED FOR AIRCRAFT USE" on every webpage and document...:D

"WARNING: FACET AND PUROLATOR FUEL PUMPS SHOULD NOT BE USED IN AIRCRAFT AS THEY ARE NOT DESIGNED, TESTED OR MANUFACTURED FOR ANY AIRCRAFT APPLICATIONS." ...but they work perfectly for me.

Last edited:
The 135 comes with the “packard” connector which is a male spade connector in an odd plastic housing. I had to cut it off and add a female spade to match up with the plane harness. It looks like the 106 doesn’t have a connector, just bare stripped wire.

For something like an extra buck, Van's includes the appropriate connector to match up with the "Packard" connector.. Either way, I guess you either cut the plane's wiring harness, or the connector on the fuel pump.. Potato - Potatoe.. :)

Back