What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VP-X Wigwag Questions

cdeerinck

Well Known Member
I get how the Vertical Power VP-X can know if the engine is running, in order to not activate the starter (I assume it is looking at alternator voltages).

But can anyone tell me how the VP-X determines your airspeed in order to auto-enable/disable the wigwag function?

Also, does it wigwag the taxi lights, when you turn on the landing lights, or does it wigwag the landing lights? If it is the landing lights, wouldn't that be disorienting on landing?

Since it doesn't allow you to turn off the wigwag other than by speed, would you ever want to do that with landing lights on? The plan is to make my RV-8 IFR capable. So is it bad in lower visibility conditions? I haven't had the pleasure yet of night flying in an airplane with wigwag capability.

I tried to run the config software, to see if I could get answers from looking at the screens, but it won't let you in without a device connected.

I just finished wiring (ok, 98% finished) so here is what I can tell you:

I get how the Vertical Power VP-X can know if the engine is running, in order to not activate the starter (I assume it is looking at alternator voltages).

The connection for this is to the output of the start solenoid.

But can anyone tell me how the VP-X determines your airspeed in order to auto-enable/disable the wigwag function?

My VP-X is connected to the EFIS via serial link. I will assume that is where the airspeed comes from.

Also, does it wigwag the taxi lights, when you turn on the landing lights, or does it wigwag the landing lights? If it is the landing lights, wouldn't that be disorienting on landing?
You can set it to wig-wag whatever one or two things you want. If you just want 1 light to flash, it will do that. If you want to wig-wag the transponder and nav lights, i wouldn't recommend it, but it will do it.

Since it doesn't allow you to turn off the wigwag other than by speed, would you ever want to do that with landing lights on? The plan is to make my RV-8 IFR capable. So is it bad in lower visibility conditions? I haven't had the pleasure yet of night flying in an airplane with wigwag capability.

I believe you have the choice, through EFIS menus, to set the lights to "steady" whenever you choose. I would need to double check this though.

I tried to run the config software, to see if I could get answers from looking at the screens, but it won't let you in without a device connected.

I believe there is a video on the Vertical power website that shows the setup.

You can select the speed

I have a landing light in right wing and taxi in left wing. I selected 90 knts as my "designated speed". I have one switch that controls the landing/taxi lights. Down is off, mid way is taxi only and up is both taxi and landing. For take off, I have the switch up and the lights are on steady. At 90 knts, they change to flashing. Sometimes I leave them on in cruise and other times I turn them off. On descent, I turn them on, up, and they flash. As I slow to 90 knts for flaps, the change to steady. Then on taxi, I can move the switch to mid position so as to not blind other pilots with the landing light. I am flying the tail dragger 7.

Hope this helps.

Similar

Similar to Robert, I have a landing light in one wing and taxi in the other. My speed setting is set to 73 so I'm wig wagging on approach (75-78 KTS) to make sure nobody pulls in front of me from the hold short line and then as I slow it up, they go steady at the perfect time to illuminate the runway and help with taxi.

Unlike Robert, I have a dedicated switch for landing light and one for the taxi light. The system works well (and will alert you when a light blows...which has happened to me twice. Its a nice feature since you can proceed with the flight as opposed to a general EFIS electrical alert which might make you abort for a few minutes to diagnose the cause).

Last edited:
The VP-X gets airspeed, engine RPM and other data from the EFIS over the serial data line. It uses that data to control the pitch trim speed, wig-wag, engine starter disable and other features.

If you're in instrument conditions, generally you want the lights off. Then when you break out you can turn the lights on and they will wig wag in the air then go steady automatically when below the specified airspeed.

I have a VP-X / Skyveiw setup. I can make the lights wig wag with VP-X configuration speed simulation or by setting speed to zero. I cannot find a button on the EFIS to control the wig wag manually and I cannot figure out how to set up a wig wag indicator on the EMS. Any advice?

Jeff,

Some EFIS displays allow you to manually stop the wig wag in flight (make the lights steady on), but not all. I can't recall which ones support that. The normal mode of operation is automatic: wig wag in the air, and steady below the specified airspeed. You can then focus on flying the plane.

I don't believe there is a wig-wag indicator on the EFIS.

Marc is correct, there is no indicator. You may be able to tell by looking at the device list and watching the alternating current between the lights.

An indicator was not part of the design. Since the device current values update at 1Hz rate, and the lights flash faster than that, it may not report reliably.

I tested mine with a weedblower pointed at the pitot tube. Mine is set for steady at 80 mph and below.

Back