What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AF-5600 serial ports

jcaplins

Well Known Member
I've had the opportunity to fly behind the AF-5600T, and loved it.

My question is regarding the number of serial ports and integrating everything together.

With a single display, I will need to integrate:
1. ADAHRS
2. GPS; AF-GPS
3. Transponder; remote mode s
4. Com; AF-com-c25
5. Audio panel; remote PS PAC15ex
6. VPX
7. EIS-4000
8. Nav; Val remote 2kr
9. ADSB weather + traffic (optional)
10. IFR GPS (optional, later, much later)
11. Autopilot (optional, later)

The AF-5600 only has 5 serial ports.
Seems I need 7 to 11 ports.
Most installation seem to use dual screens, which would then have a total of 10 ports and all would be well.

Is the SV network hub used for expanding the number of ports? or just for easier wiring?

It seems as if I can not do what I want to do. Am I missing something?
A second screen would be nice, but would be outside my budget.

I'm sure Rob from Advanced Flight Systems would be happy to answer this, but it's a holiday and I'm impatient.

Thanks,

Last edited:
One of the "little things" that is often missed in panel planning is counting serial ports. (I personally had enough by luck, not skill). If you want all those remote avionics then you most likely do not have enough.

Can the AFS unit communicate with the GRT EIS-4000?

Keep in mind that each port is really two ports, one in and one out. They can be shared for different things as long as they both can be set to the same baud rate. e.g., one port would do for a 9600 baud gps input and a 9600 baud transponder output. So you need to look at how many inputs and outputs you need, and at what speed, to figure out how many ports in total you need.

Some things can be looped. e.g. I go from EFIS to transponder and then to G-420W input, rather than a dedicated line EFIS out to 420-in.

Edit added: the SV network is originally for Dynon products. I don't know if it's been integrated into the AFS stuff or not but my guess is not. On Tuesday call AFS or call/email a dealer like Stein. (In case you were not aware, dealers can sometimes get you stuff at a small discount from list price.)

Last edited:
I've had the opportunity to fly behind the AF-5600T, and loved it.

My question is regarding the number of serial ports and integrating everything together.

With a single display, I will need to integrate:
1. ADAHRS
2. GPS
3. Transponder
4. Com; AF-com-c25
5. Audio panel; remote PS PAC15ex
6. VPX
7. EIS-4000
8. Nav; Val remote 2kr
9. ADSB weather + traffic (optional)
10. IFR GPS (optional, later, much later)
11. Autopilot (optional, later)

The AF-5600 only has 5 serial ports.
Seems I need 7 to 11 ports.
Most installation seem to use dual screens, which would then have a total of 10 ports and all would be well.

Is the SV network hub used for expanding the number of ports? or just for easier wiring?

It seems as if I can not do what I want to do. Am I missing something?
A second screen would be nice, but would be outside my budget.

I'm sure Rob from Advanced Flight Systems would be happy to answer this, but it's a holiday and I'm impatient.

Thanks,

Many of these devices can use the network hub. Several don't use serial ports. Several of these will interconnect via the ARNIC bus.

Why the GRT EM? You would have a better integrated solution going with the AFS EM and it wouldn't use a serial port.

While I didn't do a detail design, I suspect you'll be fine. Give Rob, Jenny, Trish, or Ken a call in the morning. I'm sure that they'll be glad to assist.

The other option is to download the install manuals. They'll answer most of the questions that you have.

Since it appears that you are unfamiliar with the technology, you may want to take a look at AFS's new turnkey panels.

The AF-5000 systems do have the Dynon SV network and 5 serial ports.

The ADAHRS and Com radio use the SV Network and don't need a serial port. We are working on the SV Network ARINC adaptor and should have it interfaced in the near future.

Things that must use a serial port:

AF-GPS
Transponder Mode S
ADSB
VPX
Remote Audio Panel
EIS

We will have the SV Network Autopilot in the near future.

In your case you could do a few things:
Give up on the VPX and use a fuse block
Use the trig mode s panel mounted transponder
Use our ems board

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

Can the AFS unit communicate with the GRT EIS-4000?

I'm told it may be soon.

Keep in mind that each port is really two ports, one in and one out.
I was lumping them together. Sould be rs-232; 1 transmit, and 1 receive per port. The Af-5600 has serial ports: #0 --> #4

I've seen one document where the com and ADAHRS is on a SV-network. not sure how or what else can do that.

Edit added: the SV network is originally for Dynon products. I don't know if it's been integrated into the AFS stuff or not but my guess is not.

I believe it has, but don't quote me on this.

Many of these devices can use the network hub. Several don't use serial ports. Several of these will interconnect via the ARNIC bus.
So, what I need to find is details on the network hub, SV network, an ARNIC bus.
As far as I know an ARINC bus does nothing for me until I have something like a Garmin GNS-430W or similar item. Is this a wrong assumption? I also believe that the ARINC module and each item connected to the ARINC module needs a serial connection the the EFIS.

Why the GRT EM? You would have a better integrated solution going with the AFS EM and it wouldn't use a serial port.

I already have a EIS-4000 and probes/sensors that came with the engine.
I suppose this is making a $15k decicion based off a $1k item, but that is what I have.

The other option is to download the install manuals. They'll answer most of the questions that you have.
The questions I have are based off of looking at the manuals. some I could't find online (yet)

Since it appears that you are unfamiliar with the technology, you may want to take a look at AFS's new turnkey panels.

some I am, some I'm not. some is manufacture specific.
I have looked at the turnkey panels. They look really nice and seem like a great package for the price, but still over my budget. They are all dual screen.

Perhaps, I need to wait a bit. I'll make a phone call in a day or two.

Thanks,

As far as I know an ARINC bus does nothing for me until I have something like a Garmin GNS-430W or similar item. Is this a wrong assumption? I also believe that the ARINC module and each item connected to the ARINC module needs a serial connection the the EFIS.

It is not necessarily true that all ARINC connections also need serial ones too.
Yes, if you get a 430W or 650 you'll need the ARINC connection.
Most autopilots also want an ARINC connection to do fully coupled approaches, but I am not familiar enough the the AFS autopilot to say for sure. It looks like they are developing ways to drive it off the SV buss instead. (?).

I sent you a PM (look in upper right corner).

Bob

The AF-5000 systems do have the Dynon SV network and 5 serial ports.

The ADAHRS and Com radio use the SV Network and don't need a serial port. We are working on the SV Network ARINC adaptor and should have it interfaced in the near future.

Things that must use a serial port:

AF-GPS
Transponder Mode S
ADSB
VPX
Remote Audio Panel
EIS

We will have the SV Network Autopilot in the near future.

In your case you could do a few things:
Give up on the VPX and use a fuse block
Use the trig mode s panel mounted transponder
Use our ems board

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

You're not supposed to be working today.

:)

AFS has great customer service

Rob was helping me on July 4th as well. Everytime I call or email these people, they have answers to all my questions. The whole staff is great. :). You can't go wrong dealing with them.

Back