What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Radio Call - RV use in initial calls to controller / tower

According to what I have found the RV that can do 200 MPH is identified as "HXB"

Since the RV12 could be considered a "Turtle Crawl 2" when compared to the other RV's. On initial call I use Experimental Light Sport N25DV - by adding the Light Sport they know immediately that my max speed is 120 Knots (138 MPH). The controller know on the first call that I am not a faster experimental aircraft, after the initial call I use 25DV.

According to what I have found the RV that can do 200 MPH is identified as "HXB"

There is no need to use HXB for an RV. Every RV has an official ICAO type designator.

ac-types.jpg

http://www.icao.int/publications/DOC8643/Pages/ManufacturersName.aspx

-Rob

ATC - Experimental or Vans or RV ???

I apologize if there is another thread on this I've missed, but is there a Standard for how a Van's Kit Aircraft should initially contact ATC?

When I first flew I always used experimental, but then many times it was followed up with a "type" question - which is annoying.

Then I started using "vans" which led to a interesting exchange with my local tower. They asked if it was V-A-N-S or V-A-N-C-E. They had apparently went online for a search. I explained that I meant VANS, although technically it's SAYLOR (which must have really confused them).

Maybe I should use RV? Is there a standard?

Ted Saylor
N662FF - KFFZ
O & IO(very experimental)-360

On my initial call, "RV N20DL".
It eliminates the, "What type".
I can't remember the last time I've ever been questioned about it.

Others I know call out, "Experimental RV Nxxx"

I always start out with "Experimental 825LL" and see where it goes from there. Usually approach control will slim that down to just "5LL" and sometimes even "RV 5LL" if I have a flight plan on file. Tower seems to do the same thing but it varies with different controllers.

Even with no flight plan filed I'm rarely asked my type.

When I use RV, the response is often "Army....". Maybe that is because there are so many Army bases around here. I just use "Experimental".

Here in the North West I find "RV Niner Niner 8 Hotel Golf" to be received just fine with class D and C. They usually return with "RV 8 Hotel Golf. Now they have a very good idea I am not a -12 or another faster or slower experimental.

Pilots that call only "Cessna N... leave a lot unsaid of speed...as would expermental...

I do use experimental... with class B in Seattle, as I understand it, class B can turn us home builts out so I stay more by the book here.

As our Aurora tower comes on line it would be interesting if they did not accept "RV"

Should be 'Experimental' and go from there. I have the good fortune of an N number that ends in RV, so things usually sort themselves out with both ATC and local traffic, but when asked to 'say type' be ready with "RV<#> slant <whatever is appropriate>."

This comes up on a regular basis.
There is always a bunch of comments such as "what I do...", etc.

The bottom line is what is required by your operating limitations (it is good for everyone to read through them occasionally... at each condition inspection if nothing else).

A standard issue operating limitation for E-AB aircraft is the requirement that on first contact with a control tower (is does not differentiate between what class of airspace) that you identify your aircraft as "Experimental".

My personal preference is to use "Experimental RV NXXXX. Now adays most experienced tower controllers are very familiar with RV's and it gives them a heads up on what type of performance they can expect.
If I am in an RV-12, I use either Experimental Light Sport RV or Light Sport RV (S-LSA), as appropriate so that they know that I am an RV on the lower end of the performance scale.

There is no requirement to use "Experimental" for initial contact to approach control or enroute center or any other facility, but there is a specific requirement to do it on initial contact to any control tower, whether that be on a hand-off from approach when in class C or B, or when contacting directly for Class D.

I do use experimental... with class B in Seattle, as I understand it, class B can turn us home builts out so I stay more by the book here.

V"

ATC can and does turn away aircraft from class B airspace - regardless of being homebuilt or normally certified.

As noted above, FARs do not require you to identify as experimental when calling class B ATC - only control towers.

This subject has been beat to death on VAF already. I don't mean to come off rude but try a search and get ready for a long session of reading.

This subject has been beat to death on VAF already ... try a search

Mike, you are correct but trying to search for "experimental" "RV" and/or "ATC" are very common terms on VAF. I can understand Ted's asking.

Ted , I use "experimental" and do get the "type" question occasionally. I find "always saying the same thing" is the easiest for me. The upside is the occasional ego-stroking exchange when ATC thinks you're something bigger and a lot more expensive :D

Before I bought my plane I didn't think there was a good way to announce yourself. Afterward though (and I can't remember why), experimental seemed like the right choice. I've never had a question except the day I flew it home from Iowa. Somewhere along my route to NJ, ATC asked me to say type. I presumed it was because my TAS was 203 MPH and they were curius what kind of plane I was in.

Actually.....

Using "Experimental" is only required when operating into or out of an airport with an operational control tower. It is not required when transitioning through their airspace.
Although not always required, it is still "good practice".
The practice of adding "RV" is also also good practice because the controller wants to know what kind of speeds to expect, and most RVs have similar speeds. If flying an RV-12, a good practice would be to use "experimental light-sport", or simply "light-sport" in the case of an SLSA, since all light-sport aircraft have similar speeds..

Back