What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Seats

Stroh21

Well Known Member
Up front, his is my first post, so please excuse me if I put this question in the wrong location.

I'm starting the research phase of mentally building my first RV. I'm leaning toward the RV-8 for various reasons. Reading through the forums, I saw that heating the aft pilot was a problem in the RV-8. I recently bought a 2011 F-150 which has heated and cooled seats. Has anyone experimented with using this technology in an aircraft? Is there a power drain, fire safety, or weight problem that keeps folks from doing this?

Thank you for your time,
Matt

Welcome Matt!

Try using the search feature. You will find a number of threads on this topic.

While you are at it, Google "electric seat heater fire" or something like that before adding heaters.

Matt,
I know I've seen some folks on here mention heated seats. I believe one or two of the folks that advertise on this site may have them but I'm sure you can find some on several sites. The only thing you should plan for is the extra Amps that will be required so based on what all you plan on putting in the plane, you may want to give that some thought as well. Wish I could give you more exact information but I don't have heated seats in my -7, and I live in the Southeast where cabin heat is plenty.

Hi Matt: We put heated seats in our RV-8. They feel good when tried on the ground. We haven't flown yet - just waiting for a decent weather window. I hope this will keep Jane warm and happy in back! Will try to let you know after experience accumulates.

I have some in my 7

I have seats from Classic Aero Design and have seat heaters in them. I have used them twice now and they are great. They have a high and low switch. They also don't use many amps. I ran mine on high the other day for about 15 minutes and then turned it off. Temps on the ground in the 30's and I was less then 2k ft. I can reccomend talking with Luke at CAD, an advertiser here on VAF about them in an 8.

I have them, too!

My RV-7A isn't finished yet, but I recently installed seat heaters in both seats. I bought them from Classic Aero Design, as others have mentioned. A good friend of mine also installed them in his 9A, and I followed his method. My wife is going to love it! :)

My wife and I have decided that henceforth any vehicle we own that will be operated in cold weather will have bun warmers. That includes the airplane. We're not at the seat stage yet, but regardless of who we have make the seats they're getting warmers.

My RV8 has heated seats, purchased from flyboy accessories. Wouldn't build a plane without them. They are fantastic. At 17,500 on a cross country, or a cold Denver morning....they really do help.

Last edited:
if i lived in the cold country you bet i would heat my seats. flew with fred this fall in his 7 and loved them heated seats. my vote is yes. I'm a softy, i like to be warm.

Living with temper foam

I'm adding heat to mine as part of my '14-'15 winter upgrade... temper foam is hard as a brick in the winter for the first fifteen minutes at least. Once you finally sink in, there's the seat belt retightening you have to do to keep things snug. Plus the comfort factor of warm buns. I figure if things are heating enough to catch fire, my bums will give me adequate warning :D

Back