What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First flight N516RC

RVRC

Well Known Member
N516RC, #72779, RV 7, TW, Slider, flew for the first time at about 8pm on Saturday, May 3, 2014. After 7-3/4 years of building by my wife (aka Moonpie) and me (aka RVRC), Moonpie II took air beneath her wings over KCUB. As dark was rapidly approaching, I only flew for 0.2 hr. The Y0-360-A1A and blended airfoil Hartzell prop had it leap into the air almost before I was ready. WOW what a thrill! The landing was fine, straight forward, no problems.
There are so many people to thank for assistance in building this plane. First would have to be my wife. She has bucked 99% of the rivets and did 99.9% of the fiberglass work. This has definitely been a joint project. Ken (Lurch) Harrill (RV6) was my tech councilor and backed up by James (Chatterbox) Clark (RV6, 6A, 8). James also flew chase on my first flight. Ken was Mission Controller. Other RV people involved were Tom and Don Roberts, Mike Hoover, Scott McElroy, Eduardo Irizarry, Mac Burton, Steve Richardson, Clark Schadle, Melinda Harrill, Bill and Carol Deane, Rick Morris and DAR Vic Syracuse. Many thanks to every one of you. Also thanks to some non-RVers, Jack, Ron and many others from EAA Chapter 242.
Thanks to everyone at Advanced Flight System for a wonderful product and support, Stein and crew at SteinAir. Are you happy Stein? I?m broke! :eek: Cleaveland Aircraft Tool, Avery Tools, Vertical Power, Aircraft Spruce, Classic Aero Designs for a great interior and of course Van?s Aircraft for a great airplane! I know there is no way I could have built this without VAF and all the people that have had input on the forums. You have put information here that I have searched and re-searched in finding solutions to our questions. Because of that, I have only had to contact the factory a couple of times. Thanks, Doug, for the site!

Ready for the first flight.
356842FF-6446-4075-97C6-AA4EFB63A5F8_zpsja2gjmke.jpg

Instrument Panel

imagejpg1_zpsa10ff8d5.jpg

The RV Grin!

imagejpg1_zps14954151.jpg

Congratulations!!

Big congrats to both of you, three if you include the plane:D

Pretty sure I know where this photo is going to show up tomorrow morning.

imagejpg1_zps14954151.jpg

Congratulations!

Have fun with phase 1!
I hope to see you guys over here in Louisiana soon!

Mark

Nicely done! The plane looks great, and it even appears your CEO has a grin as well! :)

It's been a pleasure working with you, and I hope you enjoy that plane for a long time to come.

Cheers,
Stein

Bob & Moonpie

What a nice story to wake up to. :) Congratulations to the both of you. I can't wait to read you travel posts. Fly safe my friends!

Thanks everyone

Thank you. It IS very exciting. Bungalo in Maine, huh? We are packing. Mike, we did make it to the front page. Woo hoo!:eek: Mark, we do plan on flying to Lousyana with it. Will let you know when we do. Pierre, I have already been talking with aircraft wraps. Might happen. Dale, that's why I married her. Oh, you mean the plane! Thanks. Stamp, 38.5 hours left. Then we will come see you. Stein, the CEO is happy and wants to know what we are going to build next!:D.

Back