What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Interfacing HS34 TruTrak Vizion 385 and GNS420W

Beetle

My RV7A currently has the Dynon D100/120, TruTrak Vizion 385 Autopilot, and Garmin 296 GPSMAP (feeds Dynon and TruTrak via Serial interface). I’m adding the Dynon HS34 and Garmin GNS420W (GPSW and Comm only). Plan is to Run ARINC 429 from GNS420W to both V385 Autopilot and Dynon HS34. I could use some help with of a couple other features.

1. Can the HS34 also be connected to V385 Autopilot via “ARINC 429 A/B Out” to provide D100 Course and heading bug steering (similar to V385 with G5/Aspen EFIS)? If it does, then I’d use a DPDT switch to select between GNS420W and Dynon EFIS for my input into the V385 Autopilot.

2. Will I be able to use the Dynon D100 EFIS to select between the new GNC420W (ARINC) and my current Garmin 296 (Serial into D100)? Garmin 296 Serial fed would be backup if GNS420W is lost (as currently used).

3. Out of curiosity, Down the road I’m considering an upgrade to Skyview. Are my current TruTrak Servos compatible with Dynon Autopilot?

I have a similar setup (D-100/D-120, HS34, GPSMAP 796, SL-30, TruTrak Gemini) and have been looking into adding a GPS navigator (Garmin 375). What I have found out so far may be of use to you.
1. According to Dynon, the HS34 does not "pass through" the arinc 429 so the 429 for the TruTRak has to be wired directly to the A/P (cannot wire the 429 to the Dynon Chan 1 RX and use the Chan 1TX to output to the A/P).
2. On the Gemini the autopilot defaults to the 429 input and if that input goes away it reverts to the RS 232 guidance if available so if both are connected the 796 acts as a backup, this may be the same for your 385, it is referenced in the manual on the Gemini.
3. I doubt the servos are compatible, every time I have checked on upgrades it seems the servos have to be replaced, a lot of the modern servos seem to be CAN BUS based. My D100 was installed before Dynon had their A/P software done otherwise I would probably have put in their servos for a cleaner A/P interface.
4. If all the inputs are connected to the HS34 then I believe you can select the sources, on my current setup I can select between the SL 30 VHF Nav and the 796 GPS Nav. I think the selection steps through the available sources that are connected.
Hope this helps.
Figs

Back