What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

6A control stick bushing

pczar3

Well Known Member
Patron
I worked on the control sticks a long time ago on my glacial build. Now I realize the bushing for the control sticks are cut too short so I can't get enough space between the mounting ears. I don't think I've lost my mind but I cannot find either in the drawings or the manual where it mentions the bushing. I want to order a couple new ones from Vans but I don't know which one it is in "the list". Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Paul Cz.

N694BP reserved

Call Vans

I also don't think you've lost your mind, otherwise I too have lost mine, because there is no obvious reference to the brass/bronze bushing on the drawings.
Probably best to email or call Vans because some -6 parts don't seem to be in the list anymore.

Another option may be to go to a bearing supply shop with the original bushing for them to try and match up. If the outside diameter is correct then you can always drill or ream out the bore.

Good luck!
Paul

BRASS BUSH WD-611&612

I don't see this bushing in the RV-6 dwgs (dwg 40 would have been a good place for it) but it's on RV-7 dwg 38.

Van's part number for the bushing is "BRASS BUSH WD-611&612".

WD-611 is the right stick and WD-612 is the left stick.

The Frank Justice instructions that are downloadable from Matt Dralle's Matronics.com site say:
"... Trim the brass tubes so they are just barely short enough to slide in place and line up with the holes in the Wd-610’s easily; they should be just a little longer than the tubes on the Wd-611 and Wd-612. The idea of this is that when the bolts are tightened the Wd-610 brackets are squeezed against the brass tubes, holding them fixed; the inside of the tubes on the Wd-611 and Wd-612 rotate on the brass tubes. If wear occurs it will be the outside of the brass tube, which is easily replaced. Less wear will occur here than if the bolt rotated against the inside of the tube because the bearing surface is larger. Verify that an AN4-30A (could be a typo here because the RV-6 and RV-7 dwgs I'm looking at say AN4-27, John Bright) bolt will go into the brass tubes easily; if not, very carefully drill out the tubes to where they go easily onto the bolts but there is no slop in the fit..."​

Many of the RV-7 dwgs are improved compared to the RV-6 ones so IMO it is more than worth it to purchase the RV-7 USB stick of dwgs from Vans. You can send the ones you want to OfficeMax for large prints. Any part numbers starting with "6" are carry-overs from the RV-6.

Attachments

• stick bushing rv-6 and 7.jpg
    stick bushing rv-6 and 7.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
It has been many years ago that I went through this. The control stick weldments came with the brass bushing inserted into the weldment and was held in place with a zip tie. I do not recall specific instructions on how to file down the items to get them to fit properly.
At the time, I was using Matt Drales (sp?) guide and also Bunnies Guide for clarifications on Van's construction manual.
You may find the p/n in the original Parts BOM as this was an assembly and it may be listed under the WD612 part.

As others have indicated, the RV-7 plans show this part.

Thanks for all the info!

When I go to order the new ones, I'll double check with Vans to make sure.

Thanks again for the great information. I guess I haven't lost my mind because I looked at the original manual, the pdf version of the manual and couldn't find them at all.

Thanks again,

Paul Cz.
N694BP reserved!

Back