What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SkyTec v Prestolite Starter

I wonder if anyone can help with a quick query. Hoping to avoid taking cowlings off to answer this one....
RV7A flying....I have an O-360 which is fitted with the lightweight SkyTec starter motor. I am dealing with an aft CG issue and looking at pulling it forward, but not about to invest in a CS prop. Currently I have the Sensenich FP prop fitted.
Can anyone tell me if it is a straight swap in/out to do the change from the SkyTec to an older Prestolite MZ4222 starter? I see on the Lycoming parts list they mention/show a LW12083 switch alongside the Lycoming starter motor LW15571/MZ4222.
Are there any wiring changes I need to make as I am hoping this is a temporary solution to the problem with a CS prop coming in the future, in which case trhe SkyTec will go back on. Is the solenoid part of the Prestolite starter?

Last edited:
The 'switch' you're seeing is the power relay, not the solenoid. The solenoid is integral to that starter. If you have a starter relay in your bird [I'd be surprised if you didn't], should be a straight wiring hook-up. Note that the power cable may well be a different length, so you'll have to accommodate that; a 'loop' in #2 or #4 cable is not practical. I keep a specially bent wrench specifically for those mounting bolts...
Remember to specify 122 vs 149 teeth to match the ring gear. I have a 149 Prestolite take-off on the shelf, but shipping doesn't make sense for you.

Thanks Ben. The Lycoming catalogue shows that the MZ4222/LW15571 is the correct starter for the O-360A1A but no mention of the amount of teeth on the ring gear. I'm hoping that it is therefore the correct starter.
Yes, I do have a starter switch/relay at the firewall so just the replacement motor on it's own (with the integral solenoid) should do the job.
Derek

Only way to be sure is to count the teeth on the ring gear... Unless it was AT THE FACTORY, I wouldn't trust just using the parts catalogue. Too many variants of these engines, and there's no practical operating difference, so swapping the gears is done a lot.
Havin' fun, we are.

You may want to consider a steel crush plate (I know, aluminum prop, so not really a crash plate). Saber should be able to hook you up. Probably cheaper than a new starter and farther forward.

Back