What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ON SPEED Angle of Attack Video

Carlos,

Figures--remember who you're working with here. Sorry about that. Give me a call any time.

Cheers,

Vac

Last edited:
Blog

For folks that are interested in following progress in the ONSPEED project, I've got a blog up on our website: FlyONSPEED.com.

I update the blog semi-regularly to keep from choking the plumbing on Doug's safety page.

Cheers,

Vac

Making Sausage...

As we've been developing the second generation, stand-alone AOA system we've done lot's of flight test. Some of it is about as inspiring as watching paint dry (GPS speed runs to determine upwash effect on the calibrated test boom are a recent lowlight and most of a day of life I won't get back later); and some of it is a lot of fun. And all of it is better than work :). Recently, I had to put together a short video demo of some of the Gen 2 capability; so I thought I'd share it, crappy anti-G straining maneuver and all: https://youtu.be/Hav7LMIeBFo

There's a lot going on inside the little ten ounce box that allows it to accurately measure absolute alpha to within a 1/4 to 1/2 degree real-time from zero lift through stall, and then damp and process that signal to generate a reliable tone that can handle high G onset rates but still provide smooth service in the base turn suitable for a primary reference for approach and landing. Hardware-wise, we are on the third version of Gen 2 (we have cleverly named it "Gen 2 V3"). This is the variant that we're producing for beta test. We are currently testing the 27th refinement of the code for this hardware.

Cheers,

Vac

Chief stick monkey enabled by a great team of hard-working volunteer engineers and aviators!

Last edited:
Can?t wait to fly with it and see all the ways to try to get in trouble with it and how the tones interact with my actions. :D

Onspeed vs. G3X Audio?

I'm working on a panel upgrade to a G3X with AOA probe at the moment. I was reading a recent thread here on AOA displays, and someone mentioned the G3X audio AOA tones. How do those differ from what you get with the Onspeed audio cues? Will I benefit from having Onspeed rather than the G3X AOA audio?

Thanks!

I'm working on a panel upgrade to a G3X with AOA probe at the moment. I was reading a recent thread here on AOA displays, and someone mentioned the G3X audio AOA tones. How do those differ from what you get with the Onspeed audio cues? Will I benefit from having Onspeed rather than the G3X AOA audio?

Thanks!

The G3X AOA audio is a progressive beep as AOA increases until a solid tone slightly before the stall point. This can be somewhat manipulated/tweaked by various calibration techniques.

The Onspeed concept is meticulously detailed on the website here: https://www.flyonspeed.org/onspeed-101

There is a ton of info on there to help you understand the differences.

Last edited:
3D Audio Yaw Cues

To avoid an unintentional loss of control, the pilot has to properly control AOA, sideslip and energy. Our basic tone logic addresses AOA and energy; so recently, we've begun experimenting with 3D (stereo) audio cuing to move the tone with the ball in the slip/skid indicator to provide yaw (sideslip) cues.

Turns out the human brain is remarkably good at picking out the direction that a sound comes from. In this case, the Gen 2 box uses EFIS input or internal accelerometers to measure yaw, and when yaw is present "slew" the sound of the tone to provide the same information as the ball, i.e., what rudder input is required to eliminate sideslip. To minimize sideslip, you "step on the tone" the same way you "step on the ball" to center it up.

This feature requires either a stereo ICS or stereo headphones with bluetooth capability. The gain (i.e., how much and how perceptibly the tone moves) is adjustable. Since I'm used to flying the tone, my preference is subtle, accurate cueing; but some folks might prefer more (or less) perceptible shift.

Here's a short video clip of the system in action (you have to use a stereo speakers/headset/ear buds to hear the tone shift): https://youtu.be/3HRWToFA0dM. In some of the video, it's not possible to see the actual ball in the EFIS display due to lighting conditions, however I'm flying down-sun and my shadow on the instrument panel is helpful as is noting the motion of the aircraft nose relative to the horizon.

Thoughts or comments on the yaw cuing logic are appreciated.

Cheers,

Vac

Last edited:
Sounds Good

I just watched the video wearing my iPad headset and can clearly hear the tone slew from left to right. Stepping on the tone seams intuitive.
You guys are doing a great job. Keep up the excellent work!

Excellent concept
I wish it was able to be used with my Advanced Flight Systems AOA

Amekler 2009 RV10
RV-12 in progress

In our RV7 the headset jacks are behind the pilots in the center. So one headset is left channel on the right side, because both headsets have the mic boom towards the center of the plane: pilot's boom on the right,co-pilots boom on the left. For that reason the "skid" tone would only be correct flying from only one seat.

In our RV7 the headset jacks are behind the pilots in the center. So one headset is left channel on the right side, because both headsets have the mic boom towards the center of the plane: pilot's boom on the right,co-pilots boom on the left. For that reason the "skid" tone would only be correct flying from only one seat.

A right-sided mic CQ1 headset (cqheadset.com) would have the speakers on the "correct" side. :)

Stepping on the tone is brilliant! One more way to use audio to keep your eyes outside the cockpit. Great work.

Getting Ready for Expanded Beta Test

It's been a busy six months or so, and our team of volunteers has been working hard to fully develop the Gen 2 AOA system. Our latest addition is an overload warning system (OWS) that provides warning when the pilot reaches the G limit of the airplane. It works for both symmetric and asymmetric (rolling) G conditions, and provides a simple "G Limit" verbal cue when you hit the limit. We added a training mode to the OWS system, so that you can experiment or teach without exceeding G limits. Our current OWS asymmetric logic is similar to that used by the military and is based on a % of maximum roll rate; but we are looking at a better vector based solution using the other axis of motion. And, courtesy of Vern Little, we've got a nifty, inexpensive (less than fifty bucks) "energy display" for folks that want some sort of visual cuing in addition to the audio. The display provides performance-based AOA information along with IAS and G--everything you need to maneuver the airplane at a glance.

We had a huge "ding, ding, ding" moment about a week ago, where we cracked the code on accurately measuring post-stall AOA up to 50 degrees (about the most I can generate in the RV-4) using differential pressure as well as what appears to be a universal algorithm that will work with any AOA probe (Alpha Systems, Dynon or Garmin). We are also progressing with development of an automatic calibration routine and beta (sideslip) correction for angle of attack using the IMU in the Gen 2 box.

To keep from clogging up Doug's pipes, we post regular updates in a blog on our website: https://www.flyonspeed.org/blog

Once we've wrung out auto calibration a bit; we'll start general beta test. We'll let our VAF family know about that here as soon as we're ready. In the mean time, we've also got a group of talented folks "homebuilding" systems and helping us develop documentation and improve the WiFi interface, and I'd like to thank them for their contribution to the project!

Our organic development team continues to grow--an excellent example of what's turned into a great collaborative "self-help" effort. Thanks to Doug, as always--we couldn't do this without our VAF family.

Cheers,

Vac

That is great. I was not aware of your grass roots AOA tone generator. LOC is a big issue in GA and devices like this will help. Looking forward to your Gen 2 being scaled up.

Last edited:
FYI - The SkyView can put a "Gee's Gee's" in your ear based on user defined limits. Also, the compass rose switches to a G meter that comes and goes with loading. Again, all user selectable.

Great work! I have enjoyed reading what you and the gang are coming up with!

Like if we needed yet another reason to recommend the RV-8 over the other models...:p

It's been a busy six months or so, and our team of volunteers has been working hard to fully develop the Gen 2 AOA system. Our latest addition is an overload warning system (OWS) that provides warning when the pilot reaches the G limit of the airplane. It works for both symmetric and asymmetric (rolling) G conditions, and provides a simple "G Limit" verbal cue when you hit the limit. We added a training mode to the OWS system, so that you can experiment or teach without exceeding G limits. Our current OWS asymmetric logic is similar to that used by the military and is based on a % of maximum roll rate; but we are looking at a better vector based solution using the other axis of motion. And, courtesy of Vern Little, we've got a nifty, inexpensive (less than fifty bucks) "energy display" for folks that want some sort of visual cuing in addition to the audio. The display provides performance-based AOA information along with IAS and G--everything you need to maneuver the airplane at a glance.

We had a huge "ding, ding, ding" moment about a week ago, where we cracked the code on accurately measuring post-stall AOA up to 50 degrees (about the most I can generate in the RV-4) using differential pressure as well as what appears to be a universal algorithm that will work with any AOA probe (Alpha Systems, Dynon or Garmin). We are also progressing with development of an automatic calibration routine and beta (sideslip) correction for angle of attack using the IMU in the Gen 2 box.

To keep from clogging up Doug's pipes, we post regular updates in a blog on our website: https://www.flyonspeed.org/blog

Once we've wrung out auto calibration a bit; we'll start general beta test. We'll let our VAF family know about that here as soon as we're ready. In the mean time, we've also got a group of talented folks "homebuilding" systems and helping us develop documentation and improve the WiFi interface, and I'd like to thank them for their contribution to the project!

Our organic development team continues to grow--an excellent example of what's turned into a great collaborative "self-help" effort. Thanks to Doug, as always--we couldn't do this without our VAF family.

Cheers,

Vac

I'm tweaking the assembly procedure as we speak...I love this project !!

Back