What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cylinder stud oil leak

dothetime

Well Known Member
I have a continental 0-200, cylinder #4, front cylinder, pilot side.
The oil leak appears to be from the cylinder hold
Down stud, 12:00 position.
Tried moving the nut, won?t budge, before I go any further looking for recommendations from anyone who has rectified this problem.
Tried some rtv over the nut, no improvement.
I don?t think this is an engine thru stud, but not sure.
Don?t want to mess up torque settings and would like to avoid removing cylinder.
Engine has 750 since new, 2006 vintage.
Any suggestions appreciated.
Dave

Thanks for the info
I was hoping someone else had a similar problem with a fix.
Lots of knowledgeable aircraft owners here.
Most of these Continentals are similar in design.
I know most rv people are using lycoming, but a cylinder bolt is a cylinder bolt.
Dave

The stud at 12 o'clock is short, and only threaded into the case spigot. If it is leaking oil, there is a good chance it has pulled out the aluminum threads. Even if the threads are not damaged, the cure for the leak is essentially the same...pull the cylinder, remove the stud, helicoil if the threads are damaged, reinstall the stud with sealant on the threads, replace cylinder. Inspect closely for case cracks.

On the O-200 that stud does not go through to the inside of the case. If the oil is truly coming out via the stud you likely have a serious crack. I’d suspect that it’s coming from under the cylinder base. Perhaps the rubber packing was improperly installed.

Back