What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Skybeacon on any RV

mabsten

I'm New Here
Really confused over buying skybeacon for RV6 , company says its approved, not on list have to get local approval, avionics shop are not comfortable with paperwork. Any one have one in use and how did it workout instalation paperwork etc.

Installed and configured per instructions included and installed their smartphone app. Normal logbook entry info.

I get transponder replies lit up on the ground, so I could see it pickup up the transponder mode 3 codes and C altitude passing through the Skybeacon.

The app monitor looked happy. Took off, flew a bit in radar and FAA GBT ranges.

Got a PAPR of the flight a day later and checked for nothing exceptional. Printed to have a show and tell record, Done.

I bought the Experimental early version, no need for a rule airspace procedural flight as no rebate applies to mine.

Last edited:
oh dear

Find a different shop. NO ADSB or other avionic unit is going to list an Experimental Amateur Built aircraft as 'an approved type'.
The whole point of the SkyBeacon is to simplify the install where you already have the nav lights; beyond using a screwdriver, the only challenge is ensuring the transmission feed from the existing transponder, and then a verification flight to ensure the unit is functioning for ATC. [And, obviously, a log book entry describing the install/ how done, and by whom.]
To be clear: it is an EXPERIMENTAL AIRPLANE: have a tame trunk-monkey bolt a refrigerator to each wing if you want - so long as the A&P who does your conditional is happy with it, and the owner/ pilot ['s spouse] is comfortable flying it.
[And no, I won't fly in some of the E-ABs I see, unless they fix them.. and some I decline to touch at all. Not advocating poor thinking, just distinguishing from regulatory miasma.]

Back