What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 and RV-10 photo flight around Seattle

AirShowFan

Well Known Member
Patron
In addition to flying, another hobby of mine is aviation photography and photojournalism. I've done a few air-to-air photoshoots with airshow performers ranging from Extras and Rockets to L-39s and everyone's favorite C-130... so when I learn about a nice-looking new airplane or two, I will sometimes fantasize about how cool it would be to take pictures of them from the air, ideally composed with maybe a local landmark making up the photo's background.

One nice thing about the pilot community - especially RV folks, and especially the nice friendly groups of pilots in the Seattle area - is that sometimes, if you just ask "Could we...?", the answer may end up being "Totally!".

This was one of those cases. As soon as Tom Powers started posting pictures on Facebook of his RV-8 - with a fast-back, a tip-over canopy, and a super cool blue shark pain scheme - and as soon as Jim Ruttler painted his RV-10 in an unusually colorful and intricate pattern of glowing blue curves, I thought "How amazing would these two airplanes look, flying formation together?". I asked - because it never hurts to ask - and we made it happen!

On Tuesday evening, I had the pleasure of being flown in a 172 to photograph these airplanes. First we climbed up high over Bremerton, west of SeaTac's airspace, until we could take pictures with both Mt Rainier and Mt Adams in the background. (They turned out a little less spectacular than I expected, but oh well, definitely worth a try). Then we descended low over the Puget Sound and took pictures looking down with just water in the background. Then we flew past the downtown Seattle skyline, from the stadiums to the Space Needle. Then down past SeaTac, over Tacoma, and finally some circles over Lake Tapps to wrap it up before a landing back at Renton. I'll start with the last picture of the set because it's the best, then go over the others chronologically.

Full-resolution pictures can be found here, in case anyone wants to download wallpapers or make prints or whatever. (Which reminds me, I gotta submit a couple of these to the calendar...)

ABgH8HD.jpg

J1kVZgq.jpg

Climbing out of Bremerton. Tom has had formation-flying training, done Oshkosh mass arrivals, etc. So he stayed locked in place. Jim was flying formation for the first time, so after a thorough briefing on the ground with tips, radio protocol, and "ways out", he joined us and got closer as he felt more confident. As you can see towards the bottom of the pictures, by the end of the flight he was doing a really terrific job. (And luckily for us, the RV-10 is quite a bit bigger than the 8, so Jim could be a ways back from Tom and still look good in the photos).

oAAteUd.jpg

There's Seattle!

8i5DLn3.jpg

Trying to get a shot with both Rainier and Adams in the background. Not quite clear enough for it to look as good as we imagined.

GqXYgKT.jpg

Sun starting to set behind the Olympic Mountains.

QFdiDeJ.jpg

Mount Baker.

esFtIxN.jpg

Another one with Seattle, different formation. Ok, how about we get down low and head over there?

Ew5YlB6.jpg

Dramatic lighting.

u1kV4fU.jpg

Finding the angle to get the reflected sunlight off the props.

MDqxUTY.jpg

More sunset. I kinda messed this shot up; While working fast to not over-expose due to all the brightness, I sped up the shutter before I had the aperture all the way closed, and that froze the props... but still, I like the shot.

0yT8XcZ.jpg

Starting our Elliot Bay tour. There's Boeing Field.

6qn10sw.jpg

One for the sports fans. The Seahawks and Sounders play on the left, the Mariners play on the right.

ynF6ewT.jpg

Space Needle!

41Rqpu1.jpg

And back out over the water.

OGx2pkM.jpg

Heading south just past SeaTac.

QjCfxSh.jpg

You gotta zoom out once in a while and take in the scenery!

YOVwC1N.jpg

Does this look like an RV-10 pilot who had never flown formation before? ;)

R1MZXYu.jpg

Getting ready for the final shots, turning over Lake Tapps. There's Baker again...

wi1ADCf.jpg

And that's the picture I was hoping to get!

That was a terrific flight. Thank you to everyone involved.

And for anyone who'd be willing to fly to Seattle and do this, let me know! I don't have a lot of free time, but there's no better way to spend it. (Also, it's been too long since I've been in an RV. I really miss my 6...)

edited

Do you have the RAW image files, I might be able to clean them up even more for you. I id some photo editing magic and it sharpened this quite a bit.

29655821746_c647519391_o%20HDR.jpg

RV8 & RV10 around Seattle

Before the Space Needle was blt., was a Church @ the concrete foundation. After WWII, My Dad's cousin got married there. Altho' they are now gone, I am printing this aerial view + sending to my elderly folks, who knew about it. Thank you.

Back