What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Slider water leak at rear

waveflyer

I have a water leak which allows water to run down the rear bulkhead and get baggage wet in he rear of the compartment. I presume it's coming in underneath the back of the canopy and running forward.
Any ideas please?

On my 9A slider I have a seal that works well, especially in flight. There must be some positive pressure there, as air always came in. I believe the slider must raise up a fraction of an inch, perhaps from lower pressure slightly forward. In the winter I could feel the cold air on my neck. I took a strip of vinyl upholstery, about an inch wide, and glued the front half of it to the slider. The back half of it is free and air attempting to come in presses the back half of it to the rear deck. It is very effective. It would be easy to try, even taping it in place might work.

Bob

Is it true or false that the difference between tip-ups and sliders is whether they leak in the front or the back?

Hey Bob-

I have the same problem with air and rain leakage in the back.
Would love to see some pics of the vinyl strip!

Peter K
9A-600 hrs

On my 9A slider I have a seal that works well, especially in flight. There must be some positive pressure there, as air always came in. I believe the slider must raise up a fraction of an inch, perhaps from lower pressure slightly forward. In the winter I could feel the cold air on my neck. I took a strip of vinyl upholstery, about an inch wide, and glued the front half of it to the slider. The back half of it is free and air attempting to come in presses the back half of it to the rear deck. It is very effective. It would be easy to try, even taping it in place might work.

Bob

Bob, thank you for posting. ;). I'm right at that point of construction and have been scratching my head staring at that particular area trying to figure out a way to seal it better than just a piece of clear tape.:confused: Can't wait to try it. :D

Great idea on the flap seal! one on here also posted something similar for the slider side rail but used thin rubber of some sort.

i have a 'curtain' that is Velcroed from the back frame of the slider. i stops rain and cold air. i can be installed during flight if necessary.

EBC13998-B06C-4EB9-96AF-620D313EDA92.jpg

here is the curtain you asked for. ;) works for rain or cold air.

IMG_0439.jpg

here is a pic of the curtain in action coming home from osh. kept the rain off the baggage. :cool:

Back