What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

nutplate vs plate nut

We have antique nut plates and nuts bowls that are Vaseline glass but there is no Vaseline in them but they look cool under a black light that is not black. Now if I can figure out why pilots say "tally ho" when they have not seen a fox or "no joy" when they do not see traffic but do not say "we are joyful" when they do.

nuts and pronouns

Flying is so difficult sometimes. Especially if you have to worry about loosing, lost or loose nuts because you used a nutplate instead of a plate nut or plate, nut. But really wouldn't that result in a lost bolt because you had the wrong nuts? I suppose it all depends on who conditionally inspected it the last time or if you're conditional. Or is that your condition ;)

Not to derail the conversation about nuts but....

I've been thinking "transition your airspace" means something entirely different in today's terminology. Do sectionals need to start listing airspaces' preferred pronouns for us to properly transition it? If you are transitioning class D airspace does it then become class C or B or A or something entirely different? What should one call it if a transitioning is already in process? Inquiring minds want to know.

But, but, wait! No one has addressed the obvious question. Can I run a tap down the [plate nut] [nut plate] to make it easier to accept a machine screw?

But, but, wait! No one has addressed the obvious question. Can I run a tap down the [plate nut] [nut plate] to make it easier to accept a machine screw?

Yes, but in doing so, you will destroy it's intended locking mechanism.

Last edited:
The bad

Loosing the locking mechanism isn't so bad, sometimes is good.
I was flyin sideways the other day and a screw driver fell out of it's hiding place and almost screwed the driver. Now that's not good.
Art
He He Ha Ha.

Yes, but in doing so, you will destroy it's intended locking mechanism.

When I worked as an assembler in a machine shop we would run taps through inserts to make the screws easier to install (they were Phillips so they would cam easily) then use red (permanent) Loctite on them to keep them in place. Whether this is "aviation-grade" work I have no idea but we did it for stuff going on Navy ships.

When I worked as an assembler in a machine shop we would run taps through inserts to make the screws easier to install (they were Phillips so they would cam easily) then use red (permanent) Loctite on them to keep them in place. Whether this is "aviation-grade" work I have no idea but we did it for stuff going on Navy ships.

Yeah....just for follow-up, that is not actually “aviation grade”. The reason behind a self-locking feature is that the engineer can be fairly certain that the fastener is retained by design. It doesn’t depend on a mechanic in the field taking an extra step - that can’t be externally verified (you can’t see that the LocTite has ben installed after it i installed) by an inspector. It is easy to see that a cotter pin is missing, or safety wire - not so obvious if “required” locTite has been applied.

that all works great, along as mechanics aren’t busy defeating the self-locking features of the fasteners..... :)

Now granted, there are many places where the self-locking features of nut-plates are overkill (floor fasteners, for instance) - its there because the self-locking nutplate was the most convenience thing to use. But one has to know the difference....

We now return you to the discussion of the inconsistencies of the English Language!

Back