What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

HUD

I am impressed by the rapid innovation of companies like Dynon and AFS (one in the same now), and followed by the giants like Garmin, in the offering state of the art tech for reasonable cost, capitalizing on the continuous cost reduction and miniaturization of computer tech.

It seems to me that the next logical step in innovation is Heads Up Displays (HUD). There are many professional systems out there, including a Garmin one, but these are very expensive. There is one inexpensive non-STA GA system, the Epic Optix "Epic Eagle HUD", but this displays GPS based data from a smart device. This is a pretty serious limitation, since the most useful time to use a HUD and keep one's eyes out is during the approach and landing. And, the indicated airspeed arguably the is the most important piece of information a pilot needs (with altitude of course being a close second, maybe heading thrid and AOA being very helpful if equipped). It would be dangerous and foolish to approach and land using GPS/ground speed using a HUD like the Epic Eagle. I know there was talk of the Epic Eagle taking Avidyne fed airspeed data, but this does not appear to be on the market yet.

The question I'm posing: is anyone aware of plans by Dynon or others to develop a HUD product to incorporate with their systems? Is there interest for a GA / experimental aviation HUD?

I'm sure most Skyview users would love the idea of having a simple to install HUD which just needs to be mounted and connected to their Dynon network hub, and gives the ability to see IAS, AOA, Artificial Horizon, Heading, and Altitude.

Cheers!
Mike

Most of our EFIS models now have documented high speed serial data stream outputs that can provide everything a HUD would need to be of value.

Problem is that the affordable HUD’s are not in focus at infinity where your eyes are focused when you are looking outside the cockpit at a distance.

Last edited:
With regards to the focus not being at infinity, I agree this is a draw back but I don't think it's a show stopper. I believe it would still be safer altering the focus of your eyes rather than moving your field of vision completely within the aircraft. And, you would still preserve greater peripheral vision and situational awareness.

Thanks for the GRT link! I had never heard of them and quite enjoyed reading up - they are clearly doing a lot of innovative work. There are still a couple key drawbacks though to their HUD. For one, it seems very beta. This is okay and I'm sure they'll evolve it, reducing the projector size for example, but it might be a bit too amature for me. Secondly, it still appears to use GPS speed vice IAS.

With regards to the focus not being at infinity, I agree this is a draw back but I don't think it's a show stopper. I believe it would still be safer altering the focus of your eyes rather than moving your field of vision completely within the aircraft. And, you would still preserve greater peripheral vision and situational awareness.

Thanks for the GRT link! I had never heard of them and quite enjoyed reading up - they are clearly doing a lot of innovative work. There are still a couple key drawbacks though to their HUD. For one, it seems very beta. This is okay and I'm sure they'll evolve it, reducing the projector size for example, but it might be a bit too amature for me. Secondly, it still appears to use GPS speed vice IAS.

I have been flying the GRT HUD now for better than a half a year, and it actually works very well. I wrote a review on it in Kitplanes for the October 2018 issue (should be available now) if you want to read more. To a couple of your thoughts - the projector is actually quite compact - I don?t know how they could get it any smaller, frankly. And it shows data directly from the EFIS - so yes, it shows actual IAS, not GPS speed. It also does a lot of other things - Greg likes to play with new ideas. But the core functions are definitely not ?beta? - they are as mature as the GRT EFIS, which has ben around for well over a decade.

Paul,

Thanks. You are far more qualified than I, so I concede that I'm not in a position to judge until I see it up close. My beta comment is based on the rudimentary brackets I've seen that many describe as necessary and the fact that one must essentially build the system themselves with a separate android device powering it. I have no doubt GRT have a solid product and software, and that at the price point one must limit their expectations. I look forward to checking it out in person sometime.

Cheers,
Mike

GRT HUD

Mike, take a look at the GRT HUD User Manual, particularly the section "Flying the HUD". I think you will find the information displayed on the HUD is quite sophisticated.

My GRT Mini-X drives my Hudly HUD and this combination works very well.

Ron B.

Yeah for sure, the synthetic overlay of data, like the highlighting of runways and 3D waypoints is very impressive. The EFIS capability to blend an image fed by an IR camera and the fact that the autopilot capability is built in are also very impressive. If you consider the functionalities included, the system is quite a lot less expensive than comparable Dynon or Garmin systems.

I'm not in love with their EFIS layout or button-ology, but I'm sure it is as intuitive as competitors and couldn't justify spending so much more for the same capability. I'm a few years away from making the avionics commitment, but GRT is definitely in the lead for me. Although, I'd have to confirm that Canadian data can be uploaded.

For Canadian maps you need to get them from jeppeson. GRT make very good equipment and have outstanding service. They also play well with other brands of equipment so you are not tied to only garmin or only dynon. I couldn't be happier with the support and quality.
Jackz

Last edited:
Epic Optix HUD

I have been working with Epic Optix and Advanced Flight Systems to refine the Epic Optix Eagle II HUD with their GPU (Graphical Processing Unit) connected to my 2 AF5600s and ADAHRS.

Epic Optix and AFS have been phenomenal to work with on this project. I have been test flying for the past year working with EO's software developer and with AFS's software developer. Both companies have been phenomenal.

Flying a HUD is a paradigm shift for GA pilots. There are many potential applications. I flew an A7E Corsair II in S.E. Asia. I believe that was the first ever HUD developed for dive bombing accuracy. it was an amazing technology for 1970. The military HUDs today are used for spot landing on aircraft carriers because of the accuracy of the Flight Path Vector or Marker which conforms to the outside world. The X-Plane 11 HUD conforms as well and can be used to land "on the numbers" using the FPV. As a training tool for beginning pilots to see the site picture for landing, flying the FPV has great potential, plus it requires no scan.

My goal was to advance the performance of the Eagle II to conform to the outside world and to be able to use the FPV to dynamically see where the airplane is actually heading in free space.

This has now been accomplished with the latest release of their software. I was told by other HUD manufactures that it couldn't be done but we have done it.

All the comments on this string are very interesting and informative. The value of a HUD is certainly in the category of personal opinion and preference.

Having the flight data graphics focused at infinity is extremely important and the Eagle II does this.

It needs to be bright enough to be able to see it in daylight and dimmable enough to be able to use it at night. The Eagle II does this.

It needs to display IAS, magnetic heading, and baro altitude plus vertical speed...everything the same values as on the EFIS. The Eagle II does this including the wind vector and direction.

It needs to have an accurate FPV that conforms to the horizon and earth below as well as the actual track of the airplane in free space as offset from magnetic heading caused by a crosswind or yaw. The Eagle II does this.

I don't like too much information in the HUD, so I like a HUD that is as clutter free of information as it can be to be useful for 90+% of its applications. The Eagle II does this.

I have filmed some landings demonstrating what it looks like looking through the Eagle II to a landing. I will attempt to post what I have for any of you who would like to see them.

One last thing, I fly a Van's RV7A and it is mounted on the glare shield. It's tight, but it fits. It's easy to wire in and I believe AFS could make it connect over wifi, but that hasn't been attempted yet.

I have 1800 hours (long time ago) flying a HUD as a primary flight instrument. Loved it. It is the way we should all fly. It was focused at infinity. I have one hour with a HUD focused at 6-8 feet. Hated it. Most 737 guys with HUD's have them folded up and out of the way.

From a safety standpoint, if you get used to focusing at 6-8 feet, traffic at a mile or 3 will be completely invisible.

I have brand new GRT stuff, but am waiting for an infinity focused HUD platform.

RC1047 ?

RC1047,
I'm intrigued by your posting. Using the AFS5600T system in my 9A, I've thought about getting the GRT system as an add-on strictly for the HUD function.
Your working with AFS to develop an interface is exciting. I hope AFS moves toward developing that interface, quickly, and making it available in a near-future software update.
I jumped over to Epic Optix to investigate. However, they don't do a very good job of explaining the nuances between their different offerings to allow for an informed decision (at least the website I viewed doesn't).
If you have a few minutes, could you PM me and explain your efforts to-date? I would really like to add this to "My Beebe."
Thanks for the post.

RC1047.

Got any pics of the EOEII mounted on your 7A? Do you have a Tipup or Slider?

The On Speed team purchased a EOEII last year at Osh and after playing around with it, I have no idea how you managed to use it with a 7A so I am interested in seeing the pics if you have em. How far aft does it extend over the glareshield? Were you able to mount it level in the roll axis and still get it centered on the pilot without the front or the combiner glass hitting the windscreen?

Do you find yourself limiting your field of view in order to keep your eyes looking thru the combiner glass?

It should be noted that our open source HUD project can drive a EOEII with serial stream data from most major experimental EFIS makers today. We demonstrated this at Osh last year.

Would love to see the videos...

Back