What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Close Quarters Cherry Max

Vac

Well Known Member
Benefactor
Hi Folks,

I have two Cherry Max rivets to pull at the back end of the elevator bellcrank mounts that don't have sufficient clearance for a standard Cherry G28 hand puller head and there isn't sufficient access for an AD470 or screw/bolt and nut combination; so I'm stuck using a structural blind fastener. I did try a couple of pulls, but unfortunately, there isn't sufficient lateral clearance with the upright portion of the angle stock to permit a straight pull and the mandrel breaks off prior to becoming flush with the rivet head.

I'd appreciate any advice!

Thanks,

Vac

view

This sometimes works: cut a wedge shaped piece of aluminum. Drill a hole thru it. Insert rivet. Put the stem thru the wedge. Puller will now work at an angle which hopefully allows enough clearance. Stem will bend as it's pulled.

As you have found, cherries cannot be pulled at an angle, the stem will always break off prematurely. I generally use an LP4-4 in that spot.

Thank you, folks. Two cherry max rivets successfully installed after an old pneumatic nose piece was appropriately modified for a straight pull!

Back