What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X Touch Power

newt

Well Known Member
Working through some final details here:

The GEA24 and the GDU displays have "Aircraft Power #2" inputs.

Section 2.1.1.18 in the G3X Touch Installation Manual mentions the use of third party backup power systems, or integration of a backup battery into the aircraft electrical system.

I want to make sure that the system is adequately powered through transient voltage sags at engine start to ensure reliable oil pressure indication.

My current thinking is to use a small backup battery (alarm system gel cell or similar) on Aircraft Power #2 on the GEA and GDU, wired to the aircraft's main bus through a diode so that it can accept charge but can't power anything else.

Is that reasonable? Short of a full dual-bus architecture, how else have folks been working through this?

- mark

Keep alive

My second power input is from my keep alive power per the G3x installation manual; it comes from the GAD27. You have one of those, dont you?

I dont have a dual bus nor a dual battery, except a small battery integrated into the G5.

No, the aircraft has manual flaps and trim, there's no GAD27 in this installation.

- mark

a backup battery charged by the main bus via a diode is exactly what I did on my G3X touch installation.

Add a CB before the diode and a (backup-) power switch on the output side and you will be able to isolate the backup battery from the rest of the electrical system in case you need to do it.

Using a set of blade type fuses I was able to build a simple dual bus system that powers the essential stuff on my panel.

I used a 5Ah lithium battery as a backup, works really well.

Dan

Attachments

• EDC8DA09-3893-4B5B-A1C5-78D89395BC04.png
    EDC8DA09-3893-4B5B-A1C5-78D89395BC04.png
    407 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
Perfect, that's pretty much exactly where my mind has been heading. Very pleased to hear it's gone well for you!

- mark

My avionics are off during start up, though I do have a dual bus on the 10. I don't really see a need for the instruments during the 15 seconds after start up while the EFIS boots. The chances of oil pressure being fine at last shut down, yet not working on the next start up are so low That I am not sure they can be measured. Failures related to start/stop, while relevant to many things is not IMHO relevant to the oil delivery system. I would not add 2-3 lbs of dead weight for this purpose. Better to install a cheap oil pressure switch and tie it to an LED. I have this on the 6, mostly to insure that I don't leave the master on a shut down.

I suppose if you think that you are the type to forget to put oil back into the engine after an oil change, this is probably a necessary function.

Larry

Last edited:
I also used a sealed lead acid "alarm" battery as by backup power source for the G3X system. It has its own switch and is charged off the main bus thru a Schottky diode and a current limiting resistor.

Works great. I have replaced it once as a preventative measure.

My G5 also has its own battery for when stuff really goes bad.

Closing the loop on this

Here's what I ended up doing.

It works very well.

The 2-pole switch completely isolates the battery (from charge supply and from load) when it's opened. That seemed "safe."

The battery is a 4.5 Ah 12V gel cell (about $20) in a holder fabricated on the subpanel. Runs the GDU, GEA and GSU for a surprisingly long time. G3X reports volts from Aircraft Power #2 for in flight health checks.

- mark

Attachments

• VH-SOL Auxiliary Battery Circuit.jpg
    VH-SOL Auxiliary Battery Circuit.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 89
Back