What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Remove Sensenich prop extension?

S. Soule

I need to remove my Sensenich prop extension from my Sensenich FP metal prop. I recall it was a tight fit getting it on umpteen years ago and now it is predictably impossible to budge. Six bolt holes, now empty of course, and two tight fitting pins. Any advice? N227RV

Prop Spacer removal

I need to remove my Sensenich prop extension from my Sensenich FP metal prop. I recall it was a tight fit getting it on umpteen years ago and now it is predictably impossible to budge. Six bolt holes, now empty of course, and two tight fitting pins. Any advice? N227RV

Put the prop over a 30 gal trash can with the spacer on the lower side. Use a large drift punch and a 5 lb hammer to punch the drift pins out of the prop. Be sure to hit each side evenly so you don't get any binding.

It takes a fair amount of pounding to remove....

Or a Hydraulic Press

Knocking the pins out with a hammer and drift is fine as long as the hub is supported properly. Local auto engine shops often have hydraulic presses they might let you use or they might do the job for you. Same caveat as driving them out, be sure to go a little bit at a time on alternating sides. Just another way to go.

Try using a penatrating oil. Let sit overnight. Then try a plastic wedge. If that fails try punching the pins out using a press. Saport it properly. Or bad things will happen.

RD

Punch and hammer

I cut some angled wood supports close to the hub, and that part took the most time. 3/8 punch, 5 lb hammer, not a lot of swing, and < 2 minutes later the spinner backplate was free of the prop and extension. Working evenly is the trick. Reassembling was the same. I seem to remember either the saber or Sensenich instructions noting a whompum stick was required for assembly. If you use oil, make sure you get it all clean before assembling to the hub. You don’t want oil between the hub and the extension or extension and the prop, and oil on the bolts will give bad torque readings.

Back