What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lycoming intake runners bypassed

billytime1

Well Known Member
Cup of tea and it hit me
Any body bypass the intake runners , that pass through the oil pan, as we all know, and run new manifold system thereby bypassing the existing..I am aware that this system exists but wait there is more.. in doing so I get that the cooler the charge the better going into the cyl.. but the abandoned runners ... could they be used for cabin heat, since they are air tight ? Air goes in one tube or two and out the other side, plat covering the carb opening on the pan of course, Was thinking of a better way to heat the cabin and getting a cooler more dense charge into the cylinders..
billythekid
Not a engineer not a and p, just thinking.. and building

Your exhaust gasses are 1200+ degrees. Your oil temp is 200ish degrees. You're going to have a hard time getting any decent amount of airflow heated to a comfortable level by running it through something that is only 200 degrees. A better way to look at that would be as an additional oil cooler. If you plumbed outside air into one side and dumped it out the other you could use the sump as a very inefficient oil cooler. The air wouldn't change temperature by a lot, but the mass of air going through it would eventually bring the oil temp down. I say inefficient because the sump does not have the correct fin design internally to really help with the heat transfer.

There has been threads before here about trying to use the oil cooler to heat the cabin. The cooler is similar to a car heater core has many small air passages that translate in a large surface area to transfer coolant heat. I haven't seen a post saying this was successful.
Now considering the induction tube, about 8" long by about 1.5" dia. giving a surface area of about 40 sq. inches... I don't think much usable heat would be generated.
Sky Dynamics and others offer cold air induction systems for those wanting cooler denser air charges & more performance.

Back