What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon verses Garmin

Ron B.

Well Known Member
I know this is an opinionated question. I have a friend that got an estimate on his dream panel and like always, it was way more than he had hoped. He has always flown behind Garmin , I have a VFR Dynon panel and he is looking for IFR.
My question, has anyone gone from being a Garmin customer to Dynon and regretted the move? Have you switched and are happy with your switch.
Since this is a personnel choice and if you would like to keep this personnel, please PM me and it will stay that way.
Thanks Ron

You'll find between the major manufacturers that the price of equipment isn't that far off from one another. So a G3X/GTN IFR panel can cost very close to an HDX/Avidyne or HDX/GTN IFR panel. Both manufacturers have spreadsheets on their website to provide a general idea of cost (but keep in mind Dynon does not make an IFR certified navigator, so your friend will need to make his choice there as well).

Of course, depending on the vendor there may be a lot of other services provided (switches, CBs, laser engrave/panel cut, etc....) That can highly affect the cost of the total package.

If the reason he is picking one versus the other is price, I would pay special attention to make sure they are comparing oranges to oranges. I've priced this out a few times in the past few years and they always come in within a couple hundred dollars of each other. It's easy to miss something as these are complex systems.

I recommend reaching out to a vendor experienced with both and ask them for help. Stein in particular is really good at that and worth a phone call.

Although I fall on the Dynon side, both systems are good and as mentioned price would not be my determining factor between the two. Try to get in front of both and see which one you like.

This is an important point. You'll be spending $30k+ on this, don't do it without having some time in front of each system. They aren't all the same.

Definitely in the Dynon camp here, but primarily because I like the business approach of Dynon versus Garmin. They have the same functionality except for the certified navigator, but Dynon is a lot easier to deal with than Big G.

I updated the panel in my Rocket last year. The original panel was a VFR combo of first gen Dynon (D100/EMS 10) and Garmin radios. My first choice was to stay VFR and stick with Dynon because I knew it and thought the Garmin would be more expensive. As scope creep snuck in and the plan changed to a basic IFR setup I started looking more at the Garmin solutions. I spent hours going back and forth at each companies booths at Sun N Fun. In the end I chose Garmin, due primarily to the more complete integration in the total system. I’m very happy with the results.

I made this decision last year, and the choice was made for me at Oshkosh. I’d flown behind Dynon Skyview and it was a good system. The buttons felt cheap, but functionality was great.

I stopped at the Garmin tent, and the Garmin tech gave me an hour long walk through of all their products, despite my being squarely in tire kicker territory. I told him I wasn’t ready to buy a system, but he still gave me the full pitch.

The next year, I received the same treatment from Garmin. I was pretty excited about the upgrade. After Garmin, I walked over to the Dynon both, and explained that I was looking to upgrade my -8, and asked for the tour. The salesman saw the Garmin bag I was holding and said “Have you got the Garmin tour? Ours does the same thing. Pick the one you like the look of.” And went back to eating his lunch.

I never went back. I’ve been thrilled with my Garmin system and the support from the G3Xpert team.

I'm working on my panel right now in my Lancair. I am going Garmin for one big reason, I can get the audio panel and comm units all remote mounted and control them through the G3X screen. It makes for a really clean setup. If Dynon offered it then I would probably go that way as I currently have older Dynon units that work great.

I'm working on my panel right now in my Lancair. I am going Garmin for one big reason, I can get the audio panel and comm units all remote mounted and control them through the G3X screen. It makes for a really clean setup. If Dynon offered it then I would probably go that way as I currently have older Dynon units that work great.

If you go with Advanced Flight Systems screens (with Dynon LRU backend) you can do what you're seeking...

I just recently went through the panel vendor decision and ultimately ended up with Garmin. Here is why:

1. GRT was a front runner until I realized they don't have any kind of skyview network or canbus network. Everything is serial and everything is wired to everything else which is why they have 12 serial ports. I also didn't like that the touch panel was kinda touch, but not really. More like a few limited things work with touch, everything else is buttons. Didn't feel that consistent. When I looked at the documentation and compared it to Garmin, it wasn't even close anymore.

2. Dynon has the skyview network, the documentation is much nicer, and they do support a yaw servo, as well as AP trim support. They also support various remote boxes like ADS-b and comm on their network. Overall, dynon looks fine, but I'm not building an RV, and my airplane needs a really good yaw function to work and several other builders struggled to make the autopilot work well.

3. Garmin has really nice autopilot servos that are not only lighter, but have trim control built in. Trim wired into the servo itself so it's integrated with servo and controlled over can bus. If you loose a screen, any other device in the network that has AP functionality can run the autopilot. The documentation is absolutely top notch. Everything integrates.

At the end of the day garmin and dynon were within a grand of each other for my setup, and just the AP differences were worth that to me.

If you can't compare the screens, compare the documentation:

https://grtavionics.com//media/10-1-Sport-Horizon-Installation-Manual-Rev-A.pdf

https://dynonavionics.com/includes/guides/SkyView_System_Installation_Guide-Rev_AG-v15_4.pdf

https://static.garmin.com/pumac/190-01115-01_am.pdf

As others have said-have you looked at Advanced (owned by dynon)? Feel more solid than either to me, fantastic support,etc. Also, I prefer the Avidyne line over the Garmin for GPS/NAV/Com so that wasn't a factor for me.

All great products- can't go wrong with any of them.

I had a very similar experience at the Dynon tent several years back. The salesman really didn't take the time to show me the system in the way that Garmin did. It was a definite turn off.

I had a very similar experience at the Dynon tent several years back. The salesman really didn't take the time to show me the system in the way that Garmin did. It was a definite turn off.
If you ever get the chance to sit in a booth for a week being asked the same questions hour after hour you will get a little tired of it after a while. I know it's your job but it still works on you. Also most of the guys talking about their product are engineers not sales people and don't have all the people skills a salesperson should have.
I only spent one weekend behind the counter and I never went back (different business of coarse)

You need to also look at long term support cost and feature upgrades to thing like the IFR navigator. I have a bad taste in my mouth from my history with Garmin and the way they option things out.

I have and AFS system with and IFD540 in a quick panel configuration. The AFS integrates well the IFD. The quick panel make it so easy. At Christmas Seattle data products often has a a deal on lifetime maps and charts for like $799. That way I just buy the Nav data from Jepp for the IFD540 yearly 400 something. The IFD also support 2 and 3rd screens on the IPAD which is very nice, included in the jepp support also. The IFD is pretty nice vs the Garmin and from a feature standpoint a lot of standard stuff on the IFD is a spendy option on the Garmin.

Try to get in front of both and see which one you like.
^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

Everything else you hear and read, especially here, is just noise. Get some time in front of both systems and then decide which is best for YOU. There is a reason both systems have such strong following and owners have such strong opinions on their system. BOTH are an excellent choice.

FWIW: I installed the DYNON SkyView in my airplane back in 2013. With over 600hrs flying with it I am 100% convinced I made the right choice.

b3c2.jpg

Last edited:
The IFD is pretty nice vs the Garmin and from a feature standpoint a lot of standard stuff on the IFD is a spendy option on the Garmin.

Could you share which features are included on the Avidyne IFD that cost extra on the Garmin GTN?

If you ever get the chance to sit in a booth for a week being asked the same questions hour after hour you will get a little tired of it after a while. I know it's your job but it still works on you. Also most of the guys talking about their product are engineers not sales people and don't have all the people skills a salesperson should have.
I only spent one weekend behind the counter and I never went back (different business of coarse)

I’ve done plenty of static displays with the jet at airshows, so I understand how the public can wear on you...but I never liked the guys who flew a jet to a show and buttoned it up without standing there to answer questions; it’s part of the gig. It sucks, I get it.

But, when you’re selling $30,000 worth of equipment to somebody, you’ve got to try, and if you don’t, somebody else (Garmin) will, and will swipe your business. The G3X guys had to deal with just as many lookie-loo’s at OSH, and the reception was 180 out. Just my $30,000.02

I chose Garmin over Dynon due to several reasons.

First I worked at Solarimpulse (the big solar plane who flew around the world) and there we used the G3X (non-touch) system. It never glitched and was always working flawlessly even in the quite harsh environment. Neither the heat in Abu Dhabi nor the long flights at very very low temperatures in the unpressurized cockpit at FL280 was a probem for it. Thus I have quite some trust in the reliability. The only downside was the compass swing with a 220ft wingspan aircraft :)

Further I once built a Zenith 601 with my dad and we used some avionics we bought from a new dealer. But it soon failed and the company was also gone. No support or anything and we had to redo the panel... With a company like Garmin I assume they stay in business. Of course Dynon is meanwhile big enough to not fail very soon.

The haptics of the Garmin devices is just the best in my opinion. They have a great feel and feedback for knobs and everything feels very solid (in my opinion)

I have flown now for 5hrs with my G3X Setup and I am very happy with it. The only downside I can imagine is the weight. Those units are very heavy compared to other manufacturers.

I own the full Dynon Skyview suite and if I was going to do it all again, I'd go with Garmin. So, I need to explain a couple of things:

When I was making the decision on what suite to buy back in 2012-2013, Garmin didn't have a product for the experimental market or I would have bought it. I've always been a Garmin guy and owned their first aviation GPS navigator (PRO-100) for my Piper Dakota in the early 90s. Since then, I've owned two G-1000 equipped planes and currently have a GTN-650 in my panel of my -8. I consider Garmin avionics to be well designed, engineered and built.

But having said the above, I'm generally pleased with my Dynon suite except for two things:

1. Of all my electronics, I've had to return or replace more of their stuff than any other thing I have in my panel. This includes the displays (D-700s then), the EMS (caused lots of RF interference), the autopilot button panel (trim controller just quit working), and now my autopilot auto trim has this disturbing desire to initiate uncommanded descents.

2. In almost all (maybe all) of the above cases, when I ask about this on the forum, I get the "that's a well known bug" answer. Dynon has never refused to fix or replace the items. Their support (once you ask about the issue) is outstanding. And the fact that you have to ask first and that there's no list of "well known bugs" for owners to see is a HUGE problem in my opinion. The fact that they know that one of their pieces of equipment will sporadically induce an uncommanded descent and they don't tell anyone about it? That's a big, big deal.

Now not owning much Garmin gear right now, I can't vouch for their support, but I can say this, I haven't had to pull the 650 out of the panel since the day I installed it.

I realize I'm being critical of a vendor, but I think it's justified. Here we go....

This is extremely timely, I'm just about to buy my panel suite. I thought I was done deciding, but hearing about people's experiences, particularly with known but uncommunicated issues, is very helpful.

I know this is an opinionated question. I have a friend that got an estimate on his dream panel and like always, it was way more than he had hoped. He has always flown behind Garmin , I have a VFR Dynon panel and he is looking for IFR.
My question, has anyone gone from being a Garmin customer to Dynon and regretted the move? Have you switched and are happy with your switch.
Since this is a personnel choice and if you would like to keep this personnel, please PM me and it will stay that way.
Thanks Ron

Apples to apples the price is not going to be much different.

I'll say one last thing: I can't make any representations as to how Garmin communicates issues on their experimental line so I could find out that they are no different. I don't know. And I do understand that the GTN-650 is certified so comparing it to experimental electronics would be unfair. It's definitely true that "you get what you pay for" and the 650 wasn't a cheap piece of equipment.

I have a full G3Xt setup + GTN-650xi in my panel. The plane is 26 months old and has 642 hours as of this afternoon. I have flown it across continents, including over big water, and amazon rainforest. I've flow real IFR to minimums, including one "****, this is worse than I thought" moment. I trust the Garmin setup with my life and that of my family. It has worked as expected every time.

I've had one or two odd bugs and I have reached out to g3xpert and their support has been attentive, understanding, and interested in gathering as much data as possible to solve the problem. None of the issues I've had have been life threatening, just a sensor filtering annoyance and a self-induced wiring problem. I've never felt that they were hiding any life threatening issues, and honestly, for an aircraft I fly in IMC, if I had an autopilot randomly begin un-commanded descents that plane would be grounded and I'd need a lot of convincing to trust it again. That s***t will kill you.

This is just my opinion and it's worth what you paid for it ;) I strongly recommend you not buy anything until you have sat behind it all first, possibly flown it. We have a fantastic community and I bet you can convince someone nearby to show you their goodies.

The fact that there's a g3xpert monitoring this site and NO DYxpert, ADVxpert, GRTxpert nor MGLxpert says something.

I think Dynon has been putting a lot of energy into getting their products STCs for the cert. world. Their service has been good for me (but not great). I have noticed a few things in this battle lately...

1. The fact that Garmin is monitoring this site regularly is a big plus for Garmin.

2. Some big name YouTube builders have gone Garmin. Think this doesn't affect peoples decision? Think again...

3. They have an IFR navigator lineup and people assume it will be easier to integrate in a Garmin system.

In short, in my mind, Garmin is currently spanking Dynon. Am I biased? No, I installed the Skyview system; just sharing what I have noticed. In the end both are excellent but Dynon appears to be losing the battle from what I have seen. My 0.02 cents

Dynon appears to be losing the battle from what I have seen.

We're all in this together. Experimental aviation benefits greatly from there being competition in this space. Heck, I hope someone else comes up with a new thing that we all want to keep pushing the incumbent players to do better :)

Disclaimer: I seem to hold a minority opinion here!
‘Fully integrated system’. Today all systems are ‘well integrated’. e.g. my GRT EFIS, Trio autopilot, Garmin 420W, Trig transponder/adsb will fly the airplane right to the runway centerline, with just a few button pushes. But I have to enter the airport ID, and push a few buttons, on the 420. My efis won’t do that for me. My efis is capable of pushing ILS frequencies to the SL30, but I haven’t hooked it up. As a long time cfii it’s my feeling that physically touching a knob, as opposed to letting automation do the work, helps keep pilots in the loop - more likely to be pilots than passengers.
All of the systems are good. And all of them require hours, not minutes, of practice, to become proficient at.
It’s important for buyers to try to understand failure modes. They all have them, but may be hard to ferret out. What happens if there’s a buss fault? Or RS232, or ARINC? If main buss power fails, what happens? Is my entire panel dependent on one software code?
Cost. You’ll notice no one claims Garmin is cheaper, only that it’s ‘competitive’ or ‘only a little more’. Each individual needs to decide how much ‘a little’ means to themselves.
On the issue of a VAF presence: it would be wrong to think that Dynon or GRT don’t hear, very quickly, of any issues raised here wrt their equipment.
Everyone is different, which is why everyone (me too) thinks their choices were the right ones. Just be sure to consider the many factors beyond a pretty picture.

The fact that there's a g3xpert monitoring this site and NO DYxpert, ADVxpert, GRTxpert nor MGLxpert says something.
It says is that that g3expert is a member of this forum. Nothing more, nothing less.

IMHO monitoring a specific brand INTERNET site, for whatever reason, has little importance. The world, including aviation, is much bigger than these individual dedicated INTERNET sites. Performance, support and price are what matters.

Last edited:
My dynon panel integrates very well with my Garmin navigator. I’ve found Dynon really easy to work with in terms of wiring and setup. Garmin provides excellent tech support. I prefer Dynon now for my PFD having also flown a G1000. I wouldn’t worry about mixing them together. I will say the experimental G3X Vs experimental Dynon are comparable in price and features, BUT the Dynon autopilot is excellent and very inexpensive. I have not really looked into what a comparable Garmin setup would look like, but I’ve heard that Dynon’s autopilot is a really good value

and after all these years I thought I was the Advanced Flight Expert :)

Dynon-Advanced have a number of employee's that have built and currently fly RV's. We are currently building a RV-12 at Advanced as a company employee project that will turn onto an employee flying club.

We monitor VAF 7 days a week and I tend to answer emails almost immediately 7 days a week.

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems - Dynon Avionics

Here's my 2 centavos.

You can't go wrong with either direction. They are all excellent. However, for those who are COST SENSITIVE, the initial cost is only part of the equation.

Wiz boxes have to be constantly fed. One manufacturer is very expensive to keep a stacked panel current with all of the required data updates and upgrades. Another vendor is quite inexpensive. Over 10-20 years it makes a huge cost difference.

Here's my 2 centavos.

You can't go wrong with either direction. They are all excellent. However, for those who are COST SENSITIVE, the initial cost is only part of the equation.

Wiz boxes have to be constantly fed. One manufacturer is very expensive to keep a stacked panel current with all of the required data updates and upgrades. Another vendor is quite inexpensive. Over 10-20 years it makes a huge cost difference.

This must one of these apples and oranges comparisons!

Dynon for VFR

I have a VFR-only RV-12 with a Dynon Skyview. For VFR-only I especially appreciate that map updates are free. It's easy to use, as long as you buy the optional buttons and knobs panels.

If I was going IFR, I would go with Garmin. I LOVE Dynon's technical support, but for IFR I would want the complete system to be from the same company just for the sake of integration and consistent UI..

I also occasionally fly a G1000 equipped Skylane and personally find it to be lacking in a few small features (TRK mode in the A/P for example) that I have in the Skyview and it took me awhile to learn where all of the buttons and knobs are, and I still sometimes turn the outer knob when I needed the inner knob (and vice-versa), but for IFR it's fantastic.

. SNIP
If I was going IFR, I would go with Garmin. I LOVE Dynon's technical support, but for IFR I would want the complete system to be from the same company just for the sake of integration and consistent UI..

I often hear this concept of “get all Garmin for integration” and find it has little foundation in practice.

I now have built four SkyView system panels, each with the lone Garmin GTN-650 as the TSO IFR navigator. I find the integration of these to be as good as any full Garmin panel.

Look elsewhere for pro/cons on which way is right for you. The Dynon superb after the sale service and intuitive operation tips the scales for me.

Carl

Last edited:
I often hear this concept of “get all Garmin for integration” and find it has little foundation in practice.

I now have built four SkyView system panels, each with the lone Garmin GTN-650 as the TSO IFR navigator. I find the integration of these to be as good as any full Garmin panel.

Look elsewhere for pro/cons on which way is right for you. The Dynon superb after the sale service and intuitive operation tips the scales for me.

Carl

Agreed. I have the full Dynon suite in my plane, and Garmin 430W for the certified navigator. "Integrating" the two to play nice with each other was a non-event, and yes I do use it to fly IFR, including to minimums on many occasions. You run a handful of wires between the G-box and the ARINC 429 module, set the units up as per the manual and you're done.

Here is one big difference I find between Dynon and Garmin (or others) - Dynon's manual tells you how to set your G-box to play nice with Dynon - but Garmin won't tell you jack about how to interface with Dynon.

Rainier has recently stepped away from this forum and no longer represents his company here. According to his company's forums (quoted below), he's written this forum off as a Garmin only community. Unfortunate that he feels that way because his presence was valuable here, as is discussion of his company's product line.

MGL no longer has a presence on Van's forum and our accounts have been closed so I can no longer post on that Forum.
The considerable fees that needed to be paid where in the past paid by MGL Avionics in the U.S.
As it effectively became a Garmin forum we decided to pull out.

[ed. Nothing more than a past due invoice and that has been squared away as of a few days ago. It’s my understanding they will advertise again (I think this week) and be back in the forum. v/r,dr]

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been challenged privately to "put up or shut up" about my previous comment about data subscription costs.

A quick perusal from professor Google shows the following:

Annual published bundle subscription for Garmin/Jeppesen is $649

Annual published subscription price for Dynon/Seattle Avionics is $99

However, my personal subscription cost is $199 for LIFETIME which Seattle Avionics often offers on Black Friday.

Garmin and Dynon/Advanced both have phenomenal products. Better than most airliners. Friends who have GRT and MGL seem happy too. Hopefully the days of a Blue Mountain are over.

As mentioned before. IMO anyone doing cost planning should factor in update costs into their cost comparison. Everyone has their own objectives. Caveat emptor

Last edited:
My North America database bundle for my 430W is $549 annually - and I got the same lifetime offer for the Dynon IFR/VFR, but I remember it being $389 I think...

I have it in my airplane now, but with their predatory pricing I'll never buy another Garmin device - and when this one pukes it won't be repaired.

Last edited:
I have been challenged privately to "put up or shut up" about my previous comment about data subscription costs.

A quick perusal from professor Google shows the following:

Annual published bundle subscription for Garmin/Jeppesen is $649

Annual published subscription price for Dynon/Seattle Avionics is $99

However, my personal subscription cost is $199 for LIFETIME which Seattle Avionics often offers on Black Friday.

This isn't even close to correct. The equivalent Garmin subscription is $149.99
https://fly.garmin.com/fly-garmin/devices/database-pricing

If you want the GTN full subscription it costs $499 and you'd have to pay that whether you had a Dynon, MGL, GRT, or Garmin PFD.

My North America database bundle for my 430W is $549 annually - and I got the same lifetime offer for the Dynon IFR/VFR, but I remember it being $389 I think...

Dynon does not have an IFR navigator. You have to buy a Garmin or Avidyne unit for that. From what I can tell, Avidyne requires that you buy databases from Jeppesen and we all know how that goes :)

The $389 lifetime Dynon sub you are thinking of is likely the Seattle Avionics black friday deal for the PFD, which is not sufficient to legally fly IFR.

This isn't even close to correct. The equivalent Garmin subscription is $149.99
https://fly.garmin.com/fly-garmin/devices/database-pricing

If you want the GTN full subscription it costs $499 and you'd have to pay that whether you had a Dynon, MGL, GRT, or Garmin PFD.

If you have a G3X, you only need the Nav data for the GTN, which is $299/yr. The $149/yr for the G3X has all the databases that you would have redundantly had in a full-bundle GTN subscription. So total it's $450/yr.
GTN.JPG G3X.JPG

If you have a G3X, you only need the Nav data for the GTN, which is $299/yr. The $149/yr for the G3X has all the databases that you would have redundantly had in a full-bundle GTN subscription. So total it's $450/yr.
View attachment 4480 View attachment 4481

Thanks hgerhardt, that's a good tip and puts your full suite at $450yr including IFR navigator.

If you don't fly IFR, all you need is the $149 for the G3X to include everything in the $99 Seattle Avionics setup.

The $299 or $499 subscription for the GTN would also be required if you had Dynon screens. Avidyne has a similar setup for similar pricing if you have an Avidyne instead of a GTN.

Dynon does not have an IFR navigator. You have to buy a Garmin or Avidyne unit for that. From what I can tell, Avidyne requires that you buy databases from Jeppesen and we all know how that goes :)

The $389 lifetime Dynon sub you are thinking of is likely the Seattle Avionics black friday deal for the PFD, which is not sufficient to legally fly IFR.

You're right on both counts - and I do know how that goes. We have an Avidyne IFD440 in our 172, and the annual data subscription for that device is $299 for the navdata, and I purchase it from Jeppesen. So far that has been a painless experience. So your argument would be?

As for the Seattle Avionics, my memory of the price may be wrong but I do have the full VFR/IFR lifetime sub for the Dynon charts. I do not own or use their PFD.

We have an Avidyne IFD440 in our 172, and the annual data subscription for that device is $299 for the navdata, and I purchase it from Jeppesen. So far that has been a painless experience. So your argument would be?

That's great to hear, I worry about Jeppesen pricing. Sounds like they price the same as Garmin for NavData. Do they have a package including terrain/obstacle/AirportDiagram as well?

Rainier has recently stepped away from this forum and no longer represents his company here. According to his company's forums (quoted below), he's written this forum off as a Garmin only community. Unfortunate that he feels that way because his presence was valuable here, as is discussion of his company's product line.

:O Well that's interesting. Especially the part about his account being closed. I wonder what "fees" he had to pay to be a member of the forum and provide support. I don't recall much advertising, just new product announcements when they happened.

[ed. Nothing more than a past due invoice and that has been squared away as of a few days ago. It’s my understanding they will advertise again (I think this week) and be back in the forum. v/r,dr]

Last edited by a moderator:
Database Pricing

We just want to clarify what the pricing structure looks like to keep the databases for a G3X Touch and GTN up to date. It is important to differentiate between the databases needed for the certified GTN IFR GPS Navigator, and the G3X Touch, they are purchased separately.

G3X Touch Databases

For aircraft operating in the United States, the G3X Touch databases can be updated for $49.99 a year, by purchasing the US Mini Database Bundle. This will update the Navigation database, Terrain Database, Obstacle Database, and Safetaxi database.

There are several supplemental databases available for the G3X Touch, including IFR en-route charts, VFR sectional charts, Airport directory and Garmin Flitecharts (procedure charts). These can be updated, along with the previously mentioned databases, for an additional $100 per year.

US Mini Database Bundle (VFR) - $49.95

Or

US Database Bundle (VFR+IFR Charts) - $149.95

GTN 6XX/7XX Databases

The navigation database for the GTN 650 can be updated for $299.00 per year. You have the option of updating the other databases on the GTN 650, but the information that would be included would be identical to the information that exists in the G3X Touch supplemental databases, so many find it sufficient to update the Navigation database only.

Thanks,

Justin

Last edited:
The navigation database for the GTN 650 can be updated for $299.00 per year. You have the option of updating the other databases on the GTN 650, but the information that would be included would be identical to the information that exists in the G3X Touch supplemental databases, so many find it sufficient to update the Navigation database only.

That's great to hear, I worry about Jeppesen pricing. Sounds like they price the same as Garmin for NavData. Do they have a package including terrain/obstacle/AirportDiagram as well?

Sure they do - but as Justin mentions above, there is no point in purchasing those for the IFD440 (or any GTN device for that matter) if you are operating with a Dynon screen(s), since the same data for terrain/obstacles is available for a lower price on the Dynon and is displayed in a much more user-friendly way on the larger moving map - unless of course you have splurged for the full G-1000 environment, in which case dollars are obviously not a problem for you.

Good feedback

That's good to know - I've been very happy as a Dynon customer. I'm kicking around the idea of finding a good RV-6A with a basic panel and upgrading to a modern avionics suite. This sounds like a good way to go.

Back