What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Autopilot - Garmin 500 vs TruTrak

scottjohnsontampa

I'm New Here
I have an RV6a and would like anybody that has experience with either the Garmin 500 or TruTrak to give me their opinions on the pros and cons of their capabilities as I am trying to figure out which way to go.

I am planning to have a Garmin G5 DG/HSI for the glideslope indicator for a Garmin 175 GPS and plan to hook them up to the autopilot.

The only thing I have heard is the TruTrak uses a brass shear screw in their servos which can break, but the Garmin servos are better because they are designed so that they dont need one. As far as I can tell from the literature, both systems have the same tracking capabilities etc.

Thanks in advance for any insights,
Scott Johnson 345RV RV6A (which is now 24 years old from when I built it)

I love my TruTrak. I have never heard of a shear screw failing, but if it does, I would think it is for a reason and you would want it to.

If the shear screw is a concern, perhaps you should look at a Trio Pro. They use a slip-clutch design (as well as being a great autopilot).

Any RV pilots using Garmin 500 and your satisfaction level?

Actually I wanted to get a TruTrak but when they were bought by bendix/king they are not prepared to ship any units the last three weeks and they dont know when they can. If anyone here were to chime in and tell me the garmin 500 works well in their RV, I think Garmin will get my business as they are ready to sell me a unit today.

IMO, do yourself a favor and go with Garmin if you want the best support, an AP that works great, and a system that you can expand on in the future.

I ordered a Trutrak autopilot for my rv-7a almost 3 weeks in since ordering from pacific coast avionics. Still no clue on when I will receive it.

The Garmin AP in my RV7 produces modern airliner like performance. It did take some time and effort to zone in on the best tuning parameters. Every plane, even within the same models will be slightly different.

I have had Dynon's Legacy, TruTrak and Garmin AP's in my plane and the Garmin performs the best out of the three.

The TruTrak had issues with porpoising in turns that I was never able to tune out of the unit. I worked with them for months to solve the issue but was never able to. Likely they have figured that out by now and it may not be a current issue.

What Walt said. Garmin GFC is a high mark on any equipment list. It is a phenomenal product based on Garmin $100+ systems and hardware certified for business and commercial aviation. Brought down to small GA aicraft.

Bendix King tends to ruin every GA product line they buy all the while increasing prices and cutting off direct support to end users. Any more, I see Bendix King equipment as undesirable. Unfortunately.

There is an underlying reason the market adds instant resale value and buyer comfort to Garmin equipped airframes. Right or wrong, it's a real factor.

As a multiple airframe owner with avionics of different makes and a person who installs their own equipment there are always questions and concerns with different avionics brands. And I firmly believe that competition is a good thing. But over time I find the comfort, added value, performance and support of Garmin too hard to ignore. The GFC autopilot systems in particular are fantastic. My resistance has become futile. ��

Last edited:
Very pleased with the Garmin in my RV-9A. And with a single vendor, good integration is a given.

I would avoid mixed vendor systems under most circumstances. I?m about to install a Becker comm for #2 in my otherwise all Garmin panel, mainly because I already had it on hand, and because I?ve figured out a seamless way to integrate it into normal operations.

Just put a TruTrak Gemini in last month. Bought it 2 years ago before it was bought by Bendixking. Works great except for slight porpusing during turn. Also the DG is not reading the correct heading although it flies the right track. Been back and forth with emails with customer tech support at BendixKing who has been giving one sentence non helpful replies and then trying to close the case saying completed inquiry. Now he just does not reply.
I like the autopilot not liking tech support now with Bendixking.

I too have a TT and it works great coupled to Garmin 430W.

Any comments on turbulence from TT owners? I usually shut mine off when it's bumpy.

I too have a TT and it works great coupled to Garmin 430W.

Any comments on turbulence from TT owners? I usually shut mine off when it's bumpy.

TT coupled to a 430W here too. If I?m on altitude hold and it?s thermic it?ll ?hunt? for height which, depending on the thermals, can involve quite significant pitch and speed excursions.

If I go to SVS mode at 0 fpm it?ll smooth out a bit. If it?s still hunting I?ll shut it off and hand fly.

It?s on default settings for an RV-6. I don?t know if any adjustments I could make would improve it. Most of the time it?s solid, but sometimes ... erk.

- mark

TT coupled to a 430W here too. If I?m on altitude hold and it?s thermic it?ll ?hunt? for height which, depending on the thermals, can involve quite significant pitch and speed excursions.

If I go to SVS mode at 0 fpm it?ll smooth out a bit. If it?s still hunting I?ll shut it off and hand fly.

It?s on default settings for an RV-6. I don?t know if any adjustments I could make would improve it. Most of the time it?s solid, but sometimes ... erk.

- mark

Default setting did not work for me at all. I suggest starting with max and work your way down to match your aircraft. I chased this issue for a long time and finally threw in the towel and made my own setting. Turned out to be quite a bit different that default settings suggested by TT. Mine performs perfect in all phases of flight.

Bendix (TruTrak) experiences

Bendix King tends to ruin every GA product line they buy all the while increasing prices and cutting off direct support to end users. Any more, I see Bendix King equipment as undesirable. Unfortunately.

I agree

Been back and forth with emails with customer tech support at BendixKing who has been giving one sentence non helpful replies and then trying to close the case saying completed inquiry. Now he just does not reply.

Sounds like no improvement in TruTrak Tech support in the last 4 months. My (similar) experience is here: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=173654&highlight=Bendix&page=6

Last edited:

- mark

Just put a TruTrak Gemini in last month. Bought it 2 years ago before it was bought by Bendixking. Works great except for slight porpusing during turn. Also the DG is not reading the correct heading although it flies the right track. Been back and forth with emails with customer tech support at BendixKing who has been giving one sentence non helpful replies and then trying to close the case saying completed inquiry. Now he just does not reply.

I get both of these in my GX Pilot. Mostly turn porpoise occurs when below 125kts during approach, but not always. Rarely have had significant porpoise straight, but it is usually associated with an out of trim condition. Kinda sensitive to that. Significant tuning effort has not corrected. A 20 ft (peak-to-peak) wave ride at cruise is typical. Not noticeable though, it is only found in the G3X data.

In bumping and thumping air, it has does it's job.

Disclaimer: I don?t own a TT (I have a Trio Pro which works great).
Let?s be fair. Like many low cost autopilots, the Gemini won?t display heading at all. It only displays ground track. Read the manual! However, it does seem disappointing that the BendixKing tech rep couldn?t explain that to you.

Back